Remember when

Rob Keeble

Seeing Jeff's post on his backyard scoreboard, took me back to a few things of yesteryear.

Something i have been wondering did you guys ever take ordinary playing cards and a clothes peg and put them on the forks of your bicycles to flapper through the spokes.

Used to make a racket and gave us the feeling our bikes were going faster . :rofl:

How many of you ever had a carrier on a bicycle, one of those things that went behind the saddle and mounted on two struts from the rear wheel up.

We would put our satchel in there and use a bungee to tie it in. Wonder just how many kids go to school by bicycle these days. Lots in Africa there is no school bus system. Allows one to stop at the corner cafe (convenience store and play some pinball on way home. ;))

Never did the card thing, but rode my bike to school up until 8th grade. Nowadays at my daughter's school you have to be in 5th grade before they allow you to ride your bike without a parent riding with you. :huh:

While making the scoreboard I've been remembering tackle football games without pads...with sidewalks and driveways as the out of bounds markers. Got my first concussion playing on that "field":doh:..."kick the can" and other games with a home base come to mind too.

Seeing Jeff's post on his backyard scoreboard, took me back to a few things of yesteryear.

Something i have been wondering did you guys ever take ordinary playing cards and a clothes peg and put them on the forks of your bicycles to flapper through the spokes.

Used to make a racket and gave us the feeling our bikes were going faster . :rofl:

How many of you ever had a carrier on a bicycle, one of those things that went behind the saddle and mounted on two struts from the rear wheel up.

We would put our satchel in there and use a bungee to tie it in. Wonder just how many kids go to school by bicycle these days. Lots in Africa there is no school bus system. Allows one to stop at the corner cafe (convenience store and play some pinball on way home. ;))

Never used playing cards... my dad was a little strange about that... he didn't believe in playing cards or having them in the house... he would play dominoes for hours and "42" is a bid game very similar to Whist?? go figure.... did use the backs of tablets or small piece of cardboard a time or two, but I was already about 14 when I got my first bicycle and it was a working bike... I had a huge 20x18 inch basket on the front handled bars and threw a paper route after school, Saturdays and Sundays. My route covered about 90 papers and the entire town... about 12 blocks to the north of main street, 12 to the south of main and 8 or 10 blocks east and west from 4th avenue.

I used to carry about 3 or 4 2" washers on a string hanging from the handlebars to knock the dogs away when they attacked... only got bit once and he thought better about it the second time.

I rode the bike to school some while I was throwing the route, but only lived about 4 blocks from school and after I gave up the paper route, I just walked. By then I had moved away to a bigger city and then moved back to the little town to live with my dad and it wasn't cool for a "Sophmore" to ride a bike to school.

While making the scoreboard I've been remembering tackle football games without pads...with sidewalks and driveways as the out of bounds markers. Got my first concussion playing on that "field":doh:..."kick the can" and other games with a home base come to mind too.

Hadn't thought about the football sans pads... I grew in a small Texas town and football is king... our school play ground was just dirt and rocks, not much grass and we often got up a scratch game during lunch hour... no rules, not many regulations, way too many players on the side, and usually played in cowboy boots. I was pretty light weight back then, graduated from high school at 6'!" and 133 lbs... I was skinny.... remember trying to tackle a cousin... got hold of him just about the hips, planted my feet and then plowed the field all the way to the goal. My cousin was 11 months younger than me, but more than twice my size... he and my uncle often loaded cattle in the trailer with two axe handles, one either side, then pick her up and set he in the trailer... Don't know if any of you remember any of the older players, but Bill played one season for the Falcons in Atlanta, then another in Minn for the Vikings... that would have been in 1961 or 2....

During baseball season we played "work up"... you took the filed along with about half the school, determined who you followed and as the batters got put out, you worked your way up to bat... some games you never got there.... if you caught a fly ball, then you took the batter's place in the line up. About the only way you would get to bat was if you did catch a fly ball. Again usually payed in cowboy boots.

Last edited:
Hey Brent i remember that video. Seems like it was just yesterday. Hey how come we never messed with that bike at BW 2013. That would have been a hoot.

Yeah you got the card thing perfect. And i see u have the carrier too. ;)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Regarding the playing card "motorcycle sound" thing, You bet your sweet boots I did!

Regarding the riding the bicycle to school, Yep! Well, except when we lived 1 small city block from the grade school.

Regarding the Bungee Cord tie down to the rack, Nope! My bicycle with rack time was 65 years before Bungee was invented. Well, except for the Piper Cub and Taylorcraft that I flew. They had stuff like Bungee Cord for the shock absorbers on the landing gear. They were a great way for beginners to get two flights out of one (I'm sure you have heard the term bounce).

Hey, you didn't mention following the the Ice Wagon (For those uneducated souls that don't know what an Ice Wagon is: A horse drawn wagon that delivered ice to homes for the "Ice Box." Homes did not have refrigerators yet.). Anyway we would follow one for blocks to get splinters of ice that would fall off when they used an ice pick to split a 50 pound block of ice into two 25 pound size blocks to fit into the Ice Box.

Ah yes, "The good old days" other wise known as "Poor memory."

Enjoy,
JimB

Regarding the playing card "motorcycle sound" thing, You bet your sweet boots I did!...

They had wheels when you were a kid? Musta just been invented a few years before, huh? :D

Somewhere in all my stuff I think I still have a pair of ice tongs that my granddad had salvaged. The story I was told was they there were left behind after a presidential campaign train stopped in the little Kansas town where my granddad lived. (I believe it was Calvin Coolidge's train, if memory serves.) The chain that limited how wide the tongs could open had broken, so they were tossed out. Granddad fixed the chain and was proud to own a piece of presidential history.

Yep, yep and yep to all of the above (well maybe not the ice wagon). We also had the egg lady come by selling her delicious brown eggs. And milk was deposited on the back porch a few times a week. Oh, and who doesn't miss Helm's Bakery driving their coach truck down the street, just like the ice cream man. Best, freshest, jelly donuts, ever.

...And milk was deposited on the back porch a few times a week...

Both of my parents worked and my sisters and I were in school 9 months out of the year, so the milkman would just come in the house (door was never locked) and leave the milk in the fridge.

There was a time when our milk was left in the wall of the house...
milkdoor.jpeg

And as a kid, grandpa always had it fresh from the barn to the the table, as well as straight from the teet if you got too close while he was milking. Mmmm, flashbacks galore...fresh cream, both coffee type {ceral topping for us kids, which was usually one shredded wheat biscuit the size of a small loaf of bread, lol} and ice cream, and hand churned butter, and etc. etc........