Been worken on a new Prototype ( Lap Steel Guitar)UPDATE ITS DONE

Well between hangin dust collector pipe and cigar box Ukulele builds have been asked to start building these. Starting out with a 6 string then will move on to the 8 and 10 string ones. As soon as I get these done its on to Hammer Dulcimers. I think its going to be a busy year.............I hope.

100_2339.jpg100_2340.jpg

Last edited:
My suggestion would be a humbucking pickup of some type as opposed to a single coil. Humbuckers tend to have a more growly, ballsy tone than single coils. But I'm sure cost will be a consideration, too. (That's where winding your own might come in handy.)

You might get ahold of the guy that runs Dragonfire and see what sort of bulk rate he might be willing to cut you on something like these:

http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/Screamers-Humbucker-Pickup-Matched-Set-Color-Choices-2114.htm

A guy I met at the Hawaiian steel guitar convention a few years ago is very well versed in the steel guitar (don't call it a slide, that's a big no no).

He has made custom cast aluminum steel guitars and custom makes pickups for steel guitars. He actually does some work for some big touring bands.

His stuff is truly a work of art.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be a humbucking pickup of some type as opposed to a single coil. Humbuckers tend to have a more growly, ballsy tone than single coils. But I'm sure cost will be a consideration, too. (That's where winding your own might come in handy.)

You might get ahold of the guy that runs Dragonfire and see what sort of bulk rate he might be willing to cut you on something like these:

http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/Screamers-Humbucker-Pickup-Matched-Set-Color-Choices-2114.htm

I think I am going to use this one on the prototype http://www.cbgitty.com/guitar-electronics/pickups/foundry-tone-single-coil-electric-guitar-pickups-choose-black-or-white/ for no reason other than price. I like the thought of the Humbucker and that is a good price for one at a time will have to contact them when I start production have a standing order for 6 right now.
Thanks for the link Vaughn

The reason for winding my own is for the string spacing and cause I want ah :D

Update

Well I am making some head way now I got all the parts so am starting to move along with this one
Here is the Bridge plate assembly its made out of Brass and Stainless steel. The SS is a pain to work with so am have some cut with a water Jet after this one.

100_2349.jpg 100_2348.jpg 100_2344.jpg

Here is the Body with the fret board ready to be glued on and all the pickup and volume control holes made along with the cover plate.

100_2345.jpg100_2346.jpg100_2347.jpg

This is gonna be nice. You must have some good connections to get parts water jetted. What kind of bit is that in your router table in that last picture? It look's segmented?

Not my fault Murph didn't listen close enough Jay... I told him to go jump in a lake, not a pond...:wave:
chalk up one more on our lifes little lessons :D{btdt}

edit: maybe use a forstner bit or spade bit to clean it up and add a plug...though I'm sure you wouldn't just cover it, thought I'd throw this out there ;)

Last edited:
Not my fault Murph didn't listen close enough Jay... I told him to go jump in a lake, not a pond...:wave:
chalk up one more on our lifes little lessons :D{btdt}

edit: maybe use a forstner bit or spade bit to clean it up and add a plug...though I'm sure you wouldn't just cover it, thought I'd throw this out there ;)

May give that a shot ........but it is just the prototype :dunno: