Space Heaters Heads-Up

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't know if this should go in Off Topic or in the Cooking subforum, but last night I got a good example of why you should never leave an electric space heater unattended. I've been using this little heater by my desk at the apartment for about 3 years. I got it used, so I don't know how old it was. Last night I turned it on and it ran for a while, but eventually I noticed it was not running, even though the indicator light was lit. So I turned the thermostat knob to check and make sure it was cranked up like usual, and the knob came loose in my hand. I think the pics will show why...

Melted%20Heater%202%20800.jpg

Melted%20Heater%201%20800.jpg

Needless to say, I cut the cord off of it and tossed it in the trash. :eek:

. . . last night I got a good example of why you should never leave an electric space heater unattended.

Don't you just hate it when those silly warnings in the owners manual are right? That darn Murphy has got to be tracked down and put out of business. Glad you were there to catch it and thanks for the reminder to not fire up an appliance and then run to the grocery store.

I'm sure it's not the first time you've yelled > 'I've got blisters on my fingers' :guitar: :headbang:

Glad you caught it when you did...scarry stuff right there.

LOL, by the time I tried to turn the knob, it was cooled down to room temp. But it's real clear it had gotten a lot hotter than room temp sometime in the past.