Anyone have an old PC router with speed control on the fritz???

Jim O'Dell

I have an older PC 8529 that the speed control quit working on a bunch of years ago. It was 3 years old when it started acting up, but only had about 3 hours use on it. But out of warranty. New speed control was over a hundred bucks...out of the question especially when PC couldn't answer my question about it being better quality than the original. So I took the soft start/speed control out and wired it full on. Worked fine. I did a search a few years ago and found a possible fix, but hadn't tried it. Well I splurged and bought 4 capacitors, only needed 2 for the repair, but at $0.51 each and my 7518 having issues, I doubled the order since it was free shipping that day (Radio Shack) in hopes that the same issue was starting on the 7518. Finally got around to trying the repair today....Best $2.31 I've ever spent! 8529 works like new. If anyone has a PC router with soft start and variable speed that isn't working right, let me know and I'll PM you the website I followed at the WoodworkingTalk forum.
Hope everyone is having a great Christmas today! I know I just made my own day! Jim.

While I don't have one, I do tend to look at tools at garage/estate sales and such. I picked up a Milwaukee 5625 a few years ago, via Ebay, due to it coming to a stop. Well, the manual has a procedure for that and I took a chance and ended up with a second router for $25.
There was my model sold with an external speed controller for a while, and I found the plans and parts to convert it (why I took a chance, keep the other one intact).
So I for one would be interested, because this would allow me the information to keep my eye's out for another inexpensive router, that I could pass along to friends and such.

Just popping in to observe that this thread makes SO much more sense when I read it thinking "porter-cable woodworking router" as opposed to "PC(computer) networking-type-router".... :doh:

Times like this I worry that I'm too much a computer nerd and not enough a woodworking nerd. :D