Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air compressors

Air compressors

The new toy requires more air than my tired old rebuilt twice little compressor can deliver. I need 6 CFM @ 90 PSI. Suggestions as to brands? HF any good? Stuff from the borgs? Also watching on-line but need to know what the right things at the right price. So far, 5PH with 30 gallon tank is the best priced but getting air ratings is becoming problematic. I need more information than horsepower, fer cryin' out loud. You'd think that was the only important thing looking at some of these ads.

And if I hear one more,'what you need, little lady...' I may go postal. He's lucky to still be alive.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Probably out of the price range you're looking for, but I've sure been happy with mine:

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...47/9379899.htm

I had mine built with a 60 gallon tank, but the cost was essentially the same.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Here they have links to 1&2 stage compressors.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ls-compressors
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

This is a timely thread as dad has been looking around for one in about that category. Neither of us is really qualified to make a determination and so will be learning anything that others can share.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Can't go wrong with a Quincey, or an Ingersol-Rand. Perhaps these folks can help in the decision making.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I've had this compressor at least ten years. Bought it used from another woodworker. All I've had to do is change the oil occasionally.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I've had this compressor at least ten years. Bought it used from another woodworker. All I've had to do is change the oil occasionally.
    I have about the same one that I bought used on craigslist, electric motor was shot due to a constant leak in the line (previous owners fault, not the motors). Been running great with the new motor. I had also looked a the 3.7hp one that Lowes has with the 60 gallon tank, looked to be comparable.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    These used to have a problem with the small line running to I believe the pressure switch. A small black line running through a hole in the head & motor mounting base with no protective grommet. The vibration would cause the line to rub against the raw edge of the hole & wear a hole in the line.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    These used to have a problem with the small line running to I believe the pressure switch. A small black line running through a hole in the head & motor mounting base with no protective grommet. The vibration would cause the line to rub against the raw edge of the hole & wear a hole in the line.
    I just took a look at mine to check that little black line. It has no grommet, as you said, but this one has been in operation for 15 or so years and there's only a very small abrasion on it. Since you mentioned it, I'll stuff a piece of foam in the hole.
    Bill Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I have about the same one that I bought used on craigslist, electric motor was shot due to a constant leak in the line (previous owners fault, not the motors). Been running great with the new motor. I had also looked a the 3.7hp one that Lowes has with the 60 gallon tank, looked to be comparable.
    Mine has a tag that calls it a 6hp motor, but I know that is all "specsmanship". The Lowe's unit has a specification of 15 amps; so does mine.
    Bill Arnold