Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New grizzly lathe 22x42

New grizzly lathe 22x42

Looks like a fairly substantial beast and the price is pretty reasonable compared to the competition in that size range. Interesting choice to have the headstock both rotate and slide. I suspect that the banjo might be a little light weight just looking at it compared to the Powermatic.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0766

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2015/main/146?p=146

If I had the choice of that lathe or my Nova DVR lathe, there is no question that I would pick the DVR. It is currently on sale for just under $2000 at Woodcraft, so you should be able to get it without freight.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 01-02-2015 at 02:10 AM.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Sorry I hit the wrong button Charlie. No editing was done.

I agree with you Charlie I like the DVR too. BUT I am less than an hour drive from Grizzly Corp. headquarters & have looked at & played with the 18" lathe they had I would probably buy the Grizzly lathe mostly because I know the people there on first name basis & would be able to take my problems straight to PaPa Bear
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Looks like an interesting contender, although like Ryan, I think the banjo is a bit on the light side and suspect the swiveling headstock might cause more issues than it solves. (Depends on how it's implemented.) I also prefer the tailstock locking lever to be on the front instead of the back, but for the difference in price between the PM 3520 and this one, I could quite possibly adjust. With an extra couple of inches of swing and an extra horsepower, it looks like it could give the PM 3520 a run for the money.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    suspect the swiveling headstock might cause more issues than it solves. (Depends on how it's implemented.) I also prefer the tailstock locking lever to be on the front instead of the back
    I think that the "swiveling" function is actually the ability to remove it from the ways and then replace it with the head going the other way, so not really swiveling and I'm thinking no one would ever actually want to do that. Sales points or something.

Hadn't noticed the locking lever, but that's also a good point.

It is less than half the regular price of the 3520 although I'm certainly not looking two switch

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    ...It is less than half the regular price of the 3520 although I'm certainly not looking two switch
    I hear ya, brother.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

They are listening too...THEY INSTALLED A HAND WHEEL TOO. YES
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    I think that the "swiveling" function is actually the ability to remove it from the ways and then replace it with the head going the other way, so not really swiveling and I'm thinking no one would ever actually want to do that. Sales points or something.

Hadn't noticed the locking lever, but that's also a good point.

It is less than half the regular price of the 3520 although I'm certainly not looking two switch

So Ryan was the two as in a Powermatic lathe #1 & a Grizzly lathe #2 ? All in 1 shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    So Ryan was the two as in a Powermatic lathe #1 & a Grizzly lathe #2 ? All in 1 shop?
    Heh, nope I "just" have the powermatic, I meant "not looking _to_ switch" .

There are definitely lathes that would be an upgrade (the larger robust springs to mind if not to pocket book) or nice adjunct (a decent midi and maybe if I had room and found one cheap a large patternmakers lathe and maybe a nice treadle just because) to the powermatic but the grizzly isn't really on the list. Regardless I'm not planning to add or change anything anytime soon.

I just like looking at tools

I don't know how they would compare, but I have the Jet 1442 that has a rotating head stock.... I can unlock the cam lock under the hand wheel, then unscrew a pull level under the on/off switch and rotate it in several increments, then lock it all down again... it locks down solid. With the headstock turned outboard I have to add an extension to the banjo to make it work at the 45 or 90 degree positions off the ways... beyond that I have to move the banjo to the other side of the head stock and then use the extension... makes for a little funky set up and not as solid as when the banjo sits directly on the ways...

My tailstock lock is on the back side of the tail stock and has never presented a problem... initially the lever was a little short and if I set it down tight, took a little to work it loose again... I added a longer wood handled to the lever and never have a problem now. With it on the back side of the tail stock, it doesn't get in the way as the speed shift lever does when you run the speed up to the higher levels.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.