It's Friday! 1/2/2015 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's a long weekend for me, took today off. I'm sitting at the dealership waiting for an oil change. Our grandson starts a full weekend of visitation with his dad this weekend, so my wife and I have a whole weekend off (first time in 8 months). Don't really have anything special planned, but I am ready to break down the high chairs and get some final shapes on a few pieces, do round-overs on all the upper components, and sand/finish. Also need to work on my truck and replace a coil-over and do an oil change to it and the mower. If it gets half way warm I need to chop up some leaves in the yard.

What's everyone else got going?

Long weekend here also.

Today I am installing Crown in my living room kitchen area.

Sat Sun - Might get some door and window trim done.

I am 1 year into this remodel at this point. Started in January 2014

More house project stuff...there's a bit of trim painting left, and we still need to paint the bathrooms and their cabinets. Kian has been working on stripping the old paint off the bathroom cabinet doors. They were painted without proper surface prep, so the old paint didn't adhere well.

This afternoon my BIL and I will finish filling in all the abandoned floor heating ducts with concrete. The old system was replaced with a rooftop HVAC unit, so the old ducts were abandoned and sealed with expanding spray foam. We're filling them flush with concrete in preparation for the new carpet. (Why leave the floor registers in place if they're no longer functional?)

Hopefully we can get the master bath flooring removed this weekend. It's a combination of ceramic tile and carpet; we're going to install all ceramic time instead, and we want to do it before the carpet gets installed.

And Saturday afternoon we're going to take a break and ride the Tramway to the top of Sandia peak. Our Realtor hooked us up with four free tickets for the Tram, so we're taking my sis and BIL up to the top of the mountain to freeze our butts off.

Sandia Peak Tramway

I have taken that ride, Vaughn. Hope it is a clear day. The views are spectacular. And plan to freeze your butts off. For sure! :rofl:

I have taken that ride, Vaughn. Hope it is a clear day. The views are spectacular. And plan to freeze your butts off. For sure! :rofl:

Speaking of butts...

Last time we rode the Tram (about 10 years ago, also with my sis and BIL), we stopped at High Finance, the expensive hoity-toity restaurant at the top of the mountain for drinks and appetizers. I was nearly finished with my bowl of green chile stew when I found a cigarette butt at the bottom of my bowl. The manager was very apologetic and comped our whole bill, but I'm going to be leery of eating there again. ;)

Today I'm working on more parts for the box I'm building to hold gun cleaning supplies, etc. It's nothing fancy - just serviceable - but, as usual, I like to complicate things as much as possible!

Saturday should be more shop time and maybe a trip to the shooting range.

Sunday will be a day of rest!!!

More house project stuff...my BIL and I will finish filling in all the abandoned floor heating ducts with concrete. The old system was replaced with a rooftop HVAC unit, so the old ducts were abandoned and sealed with expanding spray foam. We're filling them flush with concrete in preparation for the new carpet. (Why leave the floor registers in place if they're no longer functional?)...

So, you originally had ducts running under the slab? Hadn't heard that one before. Wouldn't there've been a pretty significant heat loss in the underground ducting?

I've never been a fan of rooftop HVAC units, but it sounds like it was a big step up in efficiency for your place.

....This afternoon my BIL and I will finish filling in all the abandoned floor heating ducts with concrete. The old system was replaced with a rooftop HVAC unit, so the old ducts were abandoned and sealed with expanding spray foam. We're filling them flush with concrete in preparation for the new carpet. (Why leave the floor registers in place if they're no longer functional?)....
Leave one register in an inconspicuous place and turn it into a gun stash/floor safe?

It's a long weekend for me, too. OH, wait - I'm retired, so every weekend is a long weekend.

We are having some insurance work done on our upstairs and basement laminate floors, and have had a wall removed between the family room and the hallway, making the family room much bigger. I suppose I could take off the old wainscotting, as later on we are going to put drywall down to the floor and make the walls plain. That wainscot was getting to be an eyesore.

So, I will probably contemplate that work this weekend, while I start on a small ship model I ordered a while ago, and received this Christmas.

That's my Sunday plan, with the addition of watching the Lions kick Dallas' turf.
Tomorrow{Sat.} is clean the shop day...again...forcasting freezing rain changing to all rain for most of the day, so that will keep the neighbors outta my hair. I'm not knocking my neighbors, I've got great ones, but they tend to think the shop is a hangout for bored folks. :bang::D

Have one heifer we didn't get sold so was going to haul her to the salebarn. Just started freezing rain, supposed to change to snow sometime tomorrow morning, so, she gets to stay another week. All of the hogs are sold and get hauled to the processor this Wednesday after my bus route after school. I've caught a cold or something, taking the next two days off and then vacation is over and back to school Monday.

So, you originally had ducts running under the slab? Hadn't heard that one before. Wouldn't there've been a pretty significant heat loss in the underground ducting?

I've never been a fan of rooftop HVAC units, but it sounds like it was a big step up in efficiency for your place.

Underground ducts on slab-on-grade is not uncommon out here, but I'm not sure if the builders these days are still doing it that way on new houses. (Our "new" place is 44 years old.) The ones I saw on new construction back when I was an inspector were typically insulated with 1" Styrofoam board, so I'm not sure if the heat loss was any worse than ductwork in an attic or plenum. Apparently though, some of them were done with cheap ducting that has rusted or rotten over time, and they can be problematic with insects and such. Also, there's potential for them to get flooded from rainwater seeping into the soil.

Leave one register in an inconspicuous place and turn it into a gun stash/floor safe?

Hadn't thought of that. Good idea, but it's a little late now, lol. Even if I'd thought about it before putting the concrete in, I still would have needed to dig out a lot of spray foam.

That's my Sunday plan, with the addition of watching the Lions kick Dallas' turf.
Tomorrow{Sat.} is clean the shop day...again...forcasting freezing rain changing to all rain for most of the day, so that will keep the neighbors outta my hair. I'm not knocking my neighbors, I've got great ones, but they tend to think the shop is a hangout for bored folks. :bang::D

well I did go out and with the heaters on, experimented with some mineral spirits and cutting down a tung/poly mix to wipe on last coat on table.(and I redrilled my daughters door for her bedroom set, will install it tomorrow)
But an hour in the shop doesn't count much, so now Ill go run errands and wait for my better half to get home from classes and take her out to lunch, then I can really do nothing.