Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grinder coming home...but which one?

Grinder coming home...but which one?

Have all the parts for my One way Wolverine sharpening set-up, sans grinder. 8" only please...what do you guys like and why? Like to keep it under $200'ish? Thanks!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I have a 6" high speed. Old, old, old Craftsman with bearings that run forever! Jim Bradley was just getting married when this thing was manufactured.

I sharpen on a 1" 2 speed belt sander. Belts including leather for honing available at Lee Valley. With the Wolverine system attached. Just saying there is more than one way to skin a cat.

However, I would love a slow speed 8" with great bearings and balanced, under $200, that would get diamond wheels one day. Like that would happen.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    Rikon 80-805 8" Low Speed, $147 CDN

The Rikon model 80-805 Slow Speed Grinder features a smooth starting, powerful HP motor. The grinder operates at 1,750 RPM, which is ideal for sharpening operations because it reduces heat build-up and minimizes the possibility for “bluing.” This grinder comes equipped with two 1" x 8" white aluminum oxide grinding wheels: one 120-grit wheel and one 60-grit wheel. The cast-iron base features anti-vibration rubber feet and is equipped with mounting holes for convenient attachment to a workbench or grinder stand. Grinder comes with Tool Rests, Eye Shields, Spark Arrestors, 6' Power Cord And Five-Year Warranty.

Mine is on the way. Late Christmas present to me!

I'll be testing it first, then deciding whether it requires Oneway's Balancing System.

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...ders%26quot%3B

Some good discussion here if you're interested!
    Last edited by Mack Cameron; 01-03-2015 at 08:59 PM.
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

I was watching a turning video the other day and the guy had a variable speed porter cable 8" grinder. He seemed to think it was pretty good.
    My grinder died awhile ago and may try the PC.
    Last edited by Bob Gibson; 01-04-2015 at 12:38 AM.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    CS USA has a great vid showing the Wolverine grinding system. They are using a JET 8" grinder retailing over $325 USD. A little rich for most of us!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

My Woodcraft two speed...many years old...is still going strong. Don't even know if they still sell them.

I have my Wolverine system on a Delta 8" variable speed unit. It works great!!!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Don't forget used/CL.

Under $200 you say.............
    My Tormek was found for $185 (with the turning jigs and a couple hand tool jigs).
    My Baldor was bought with a stand for $150.
    I have a square frame Craftsman, that is liked as well as Baldor for a lot less, that was $35 and it came with a belt sander that needs an external motor.
    My first grinder was a Craftsman, that I picked up a multitool belt and disc sander, whe Snap on stopped carrying them (sold under the Blue point name at the time). With both pieces it would have been just at $200.
    If I were to buy new, I would probably be looking at the slow speed that Woodcraft sells, personally.

I've got the 1750 rpm Woodcraft grinder that has now been replaced in their line-up with the comparable Rikon. In the case of mine, the factory wheels were no well balanced, so I bought the Oneway balancing kit. Then I bought the Oneway grinding wheels. By the time I bought all the stuff to make my grinder decent, I had spent enough money to buy a CBN wheel or two. And now that I've used a grinder with a CBN wheel, I know that's what I should have done in the first place. (Actually, CBN wheels weren't as affordable back when I souped up my cheap grinder.) The Oneway wheels and balancing kit are nice, but they don't hold a candle to a CBN wheel. I'll be buying one once I get my shop up and running.

My advice would be to buy the Rikon or find a good used grinder, use whatever wheels are on it for the time being, and then save up your lunch money to put a CBN wheel on it. (One is all you need.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I see the Rikon successor to the store brand on sale at Woodcraft for $99 periodically. I have the store brand, and it fills my needs, including the Wolverine jig.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com