Ned Bulken, where are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big problems made small :D

At my day job I spend a lot of time cleaning up dead projects. I've had a couple that I'm just barely getting progress on that have been in flight for over five years... One I expect to have done this year, the other has no specific ETA at this point but I keep working with the other teams to fix their stuff and we're getting closer (the problem is about 1/10 the size it was when I started and I've stopped the bleeding anyway). Completely finished one project last year everyone said couldn't be done that was started in either 2008 or 2009 (I'd only worked on it since 2010 or so :D).

Its either amazing, or in some ways its not.. what you can get done if you keep plugging away at it one step at a time. When people point out how impossible the great construction projects like the Inca ruins or the pyramids appear I just chuckle and say to myself "man they need to work in software engineering for a while".

My son works in software engineering... matter of fact, he's half owner of his company... it's fun to sit and listen to him talk about some of the issues he's run into... most of it is Greek to me, but still and all I get the management parts, I was an operations manager for most of my career... I think they have 10 employees now and about a dozen clients... he was saying just yesterday, he is more a project manager now than a programmer and he kind of misses the programming. He was telling me about one client that wanted them to "fix" some software that another company had written... he said there was no "fix" since it was so old and jumbled.... the client harped and threatened them to the point that they finally just said "go away"... he seemed amused and amazed that they had to "fire" a customer.

just the change of his facebook picture, and more comments from upset backers on kickstarter. they feel like they've been royally cheated.
Yeah, I saw the comments, one poster says that it would qualify as internet fraud at this point. Ned hasn't fulfilled the requirements by KS to show he's been working in good faith to meet his obligations. He's only shown that he's taken the money and run by his actions, he needs to step up and respond.

on the morning of the 5th, he posted on his facebook site that he would be posting an update that night. now it is the afternoon of the 7th, and true to form, no update. this guy is a gone goose....

WOW - this sounds like trouble to me.

I guess Ned was a member here for a long time.

Maybe he tried something and got in deeper than he could handle.

Novelty wore off.

Reality set in.

Ned is in trouble.

Maybe friends could chip in to help a friend.

I don't know Ned - never met him and I have not been round here enough to get to know him.

Reminds me of a story though.

I person thought of a cool idea and didn't consider that is may work.

They placed an ad in a popular magazine for 101 hot dog recipies - just mail a SASE with $1.00 and you receive the 101 hot dog recipies. They did it as a gag - but the SASE's started rolling in. They were NOT prepared to fill the orders. They got their friends together and had to fill the promise.

So NED - is in a bind to make more cutting boards than he can handle and his shop cannot support the load.

I don't think Ned - ran off with the money - I think he is in trouble and doesn't know how to get out. He spend the money and cannot return it. Best he can do is try to deliver. MAN - I don't ever want to be in a position like that.

Yeah - I really don't know the guy.

I saddens me that someone would do such a thing.

It is not worth $7,000 to burn so many people.

I find that most people are at least somewhat honest and sincere.

But, I suppose, there are some that are not.

I place my hope in that my story is true. At least I can hope for the best.

I has faith in him as many did. The last post I saw on Facebook was him showing off his new iPhone6. Just sayin..........

I saw that same post. Kind of a textbook illustration of chutzpa, if you ask me. :rolleyes:

Leo, I think you're probably right. I suspect he had more response than anticipated and got in over his head. Still not too late for him to make things right, but he could have saved himself a lot of grief by having a lot more transparency. ;)

I saw that same post. Kind of a textbook illustration of chutzpa, if you ask me. :rolleyes:

Leo, I think you're probably right. I suspect he had more response than anticipated and got in over his head. Still not too late for him to make things right, but he could have saved himself a lot of grief by having a lot more transparency. ;)

I worked a number of years as a debt collector. In that time I learned a thing or three about people. With debt and an inability to repay the debtor just sort of goes into a shut-down mode. Professionals would give it a fancy name but shut-down is the result. And, with that comes a survival mode. e.g. if money comes their way it gets spent immediately rather than used for debt reduction. It is very hard to break through that mental closed door. I feel badly for Ned and hope he comes through this OK.

I worked a number of years as a debt collector. In that time I learned a thing or three about people. With debt and an inability to repay the debtor just sort of goes into a shut-down mode. Professionals would give it a fancy name but shut-down is the result. And, with that comes a survival mode. e.g. if money comes their way it gets spent immediately rather than used for debt reduction. It is very hard to break through that mental closed door. I feel badly for Ned and hope he comes through this OK.

Frank - yeah that is how I see it. Looks classic to me.

Dan -yes - Ned did it. Even so - I don't think he started with bad intentions. I think he truly thought he could do it - then got way too deep way too fast. Then he didn't know what to do - and as Frank said - shut down. None of it intentional. Just my opinion.

I think you're spot on, and like you, I feel badly for him and hope he comes through OK.

I'd have to agree with Frank's assessment, but can only speculate, Ned is the only one who knows. Only one way to eat the elephant Ned, stop staring at it, and eat it one bite at a time. ;)

bit of a twist going on. was checking in with twitter, and one of his backers is combining a business trip with a personal visit. going to try to get his refund that way.

bit of a twist going on. was checking in with twitter, and one of his backers is combining a business trip with a personal visit. going to try to get his refund that way.

I hope the guy whoever he is is just spouting bravado. For the little bit of money folks are out it would be stupid to end up being arrested or causing a scene.
At this point I've pretty much written things off. No big deal just another life lesson. I suggest other folks do the same.
If Ned pops in a reads this, If you need help fulfilling your orders I'm willing to help. Just let folks know what's going on in your life. Maybe we can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.