I'm starvin

Good luck guys! I'm personally blessed with being naturally skinny, but not everyone I know is certainly in that boat so I have some sense of how hard it is. Hang in there and keep up the good work!

I could have brown rice.

The rice bit is interesting - I was recently reading an article about the relative glycemic index of various kinds of rice (yeah I read weird things its true) and found out that parboiled rice actually has a LOWER glycemic index than regular brown (over turning years of previous beliefs on my part) and had close to (~80%) of the overall nutritional value. The main lack is some of the bran is removed lowering the amount of fiber somewhat (so parboiled brown rice would be the best case if you can find it...).

A bit of digging turned up the original harvard studie(s)
http://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods - from the new data
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/76/1/5.full.pdf+html - previous but still interesting.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10822284 - related
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parboiled_rice - obligatory wikipedia article with pretty pictures

I tried to find a list of brands of parboiled brown rice but pretty much failed there (other than uncle bens converted brown rice - which is just parboiled with a little extra cooking compared to "normal" parboiled rice).

I think I like my see-food diet best... I see food, I want to eat it.....:D

Bart said he wanted to get back to his high school graduation weight... don't think I want to go that far... I graduated from high school at 133 lbs - 6'1"... when I joined the navy they actually had a conference of the doctors as to whether I should be allowed to join at that weight... probably afraid I was to skinny to float .... they did let me in and I gained 15 lbs in boot camp. 30 years later when I married Dianne, I was at 155.... 20 years of her cooking and I'm at 205....

Stick with it

I've been trying to be honest in entering my calories into the My Fitness Pal (MFP) app...

I lost 77lbs (35KG in real money) between December 2013 and June 2014 using MyFitnessPal to retrain my eating habit. Put everything in every day and just stuck as close as possible to the daily calorie limit. I cut out all alcohol (never was a big drinker) which was an easy bunch of calories to save. Made myself eat a very frugal breakfast every day , a meal which I had often skipped, and also a similarly simple lunch , again a meal I often skipped. This bad habit would leave me hungry as a horse at the end of my working day and eating way too much way too bad stuff. Leevelling it out and keeping track made it all relatively painless.

I also used the idea of "feast days". Nobody is going to lose weight on Christmas day as an exmple. So make it a feast day. Recognise that you're going to eat more calories than you need on a feast day. And the next day get back on the program.

I still use the MFP app and keep track, having changed the goal setting to keep my weight the same. My weight has been stable in the healthy zone for my height for 6+ months and it has not been hard work. I think you just get used to it after a while.

Whatever - goood luck. You will feel and reap the benefits.

Well, been on a 47 day streak, was shooting for about 2 lbs a week, but it's been more like about 1 lb per week so far, only down about 5-6 lbs according to the scales. I've lost about a 1 1/2" off my waist though. Clothes are fitting better, even loose, and more importantly I feel better. A couple of weeks back I started taking the stairs between floors (2-3 floors each trip), haven't road the elevator since. Last week I started hitting the gym again and have been trying to go every day, so hopefully I'll see some more loss.

As for starvin, not so much now, been tracking every meal and haven't missed entering one yet. I've found I'm making better choices, still having enough treats that I'm not missing out, just having them in moderation. Had a few days I've gone over the limit, not dwelled on them, just got back track and treated the next day as a new one. I've found that good planning for the week has helped a lot. Hitting the grocery store with a list of things that fit into my diet, reading labels when picking stuff off the shelf, and avoiding the pastry isle have all helped. Not picking up some barley pop has been the hardest. Went without for a couple of weeks, but now can easily make a 6 pack last a week rather than a night or two. Probably will give them up in a week or two for a while.

The Gear Fit has helped a lot also, with seeing reminders I've set to do things and tracking my steps/calories burned. My wife even wanted one after seeing how well it's been working for me, so got her one last weekend.

Hit the 90 day mark today, down 20 lbs from my starting weight. Last week moved that along a little since I was sick most of it. :rolleyes: Been working out 3 days a week (cardio) for about a month and a half, going to start back in with the weights a couple of times a week, next week. Walking stairs has gotten a whole lot easier, up and down, not feeling winded from the walk between buildings, and outdoor work has gotten a lot easier.

Food choices have gotten a whole lot easier too, don't have that empty feeling an hour or so after meals or before bedtime anymore.

Good inspiration - I need to do it too.

Loosing weight and keeping it off?

I quit smoking - that was easy.

I quit drinking - that was easy.

NO NO that stuff was NOT easy - but compared to loosing - yes that was easy peasy.

Good inspiration - I need to do it too.

Loosing weight and keeping it off?

I quit smoking - that was easy.

I quit drinking - that was easy.

NO NO that stuff was NOT easy - but compared to loosing - yes that was easy peasy.

I can understand that. For me I found it to simply be a numbers game and tracking the calories via the MFP app. Don't get hung up on days that I don't do so well, just note them and start the next day fresh.

Down 23 lbs this week total so far, been feeling good. Did the mile walk for the Corporate Challenge the other night, was a breeze. As a matter of fact, it was about 3 miles total, a mile from the parking lot, a mile around the track, then a mile back + all the walking around to other tents we did. Still hitting the gym 3 days a week, but want to start going every day next week to start working in the weight circuits in addition to the cardio.

I'm now getting where I don't have to think so hard about what things are good to eat and those that aren't as much. The growling stomach hardly ever visits in the after noon like it used to. I also don't feel like I'm missing out on much. I still have a snack from time to time, eat things I like, just don't do them to excess anymore. Growing up in a house where you finished your plate it's been tough to do, but I've found it's ok to take a couple of bites of a cookie or brownie and either save the rest for later or even toss it. I typically don't feel all that great if I do snarf the whole thing down anyway. Got my sights set on losing about 60 - 80 more lbs, so stay tuned.