sketchup helpl needed!

larry merlau

finally got the check to start on this so today i went to use sketchup and my old version wanted to be upgraded and so i did but lost my template setup of tool layout like dave uses and also had to reload cutlist.. well i would like to get a cutlist file for this piece so i can get the saw started without having to go and measure the puter pic each time.. for instance the frnt and back stiles or legs are tapered so would be nice to knnoww the top and bottom width in a printed form? so i am going to try and attach the skp file for this and if it doesnt come threw then pm me with a email and i will mail it to you so you can run the cutlist on all parts the shelves are ply and the back is probally solid wood but maybe ply as well, also how does one compress a skp file to work on here? i have windows 8 now and am not up on how it works yet..is there a zip utitlity that would do it?
carol-3652F-picfinal.jpg

Larry, I can help you when I get home from work.

Unless you uninstalled it, the previous version of SketchUp should still be on your computer and you should be able to use it just fine. Each new version of SketchUp installs as a stand alone thing. It isn't overwriting the old version. The new version doesn't automatically take the settings from the older version. You still have to pee in the corners and make it yours.

If you want to use the same template you've been using in the older version, open the old version and immediately save the file to somewhere like your desktop. Close that version of SketchUp and open the new one. Go to File>Open and choose the file you just saved. open it and immediately hit File>save as template... Give it a name and make sure Use as default is checked. save it. You're all set after that.

As for CutList, install the newest version of it. Go to Window>Extension Warehouse. Sign in if needed. Search for 'cutlist' When you find it, click on the Install button. Once it is installed, you should find it under the Extensions menu.

If you have any other plugins that you use in the older version, make sure you get the newest version you can find. Don't just copy them over from an older version of Sketchup.

:lurk:

As I grok it the cutlist plugin its based solely on the bounding box so for the tapered legs you'd get the major dimensions. Maybe one of the other cutlist (pro, plus?) tools would do what you want?

Would also be interesting if there was some easy way to get a list of distinct components and maybe pull them out of the original diagram into an exploded view easily - then could print that out.

Side note: apparently there's apparently viewers for both android and ipad so I'm thinking that using my nexus might be the option for the shop since its small/light.
Side Side Note: don't put your tablet down on the metalworking bench, the magnets in the speakers really attract little bits of metal (like filings) :doh:

thanks master dave i lost the whole puter so that is why it didnt have the template but i got the old version out here in the shop so i should be able to do your trick thanks dave.. also would like to see what a normal cutlist looks like from someone who uses it regularly i might need to tweak my settings to get that straightened out as well.. got it down loaded and running dave..

well ryan your not alone on new discoveries,, i had just got a call on the cell phone and when i opened it up i had alot new color on it i had been cleaning the old floresent paint of a fishun decoy last week and apparently phones are flake magnets to i got a purty spekled phone with balck and flor red on it:(

Ryan, you are correct. The cutlist only gives the dimensions of the bounding box. For cvomponents drawn on an angle, you'd want to change the component axes so they align with the geometry and so the bounding box fits the part the way you would lay it out on a board.

There are a couple of plugins that will create an exploded version of your model but I've found they don't position things the way I need them, anyway. I find it much easier to make my own exploded views using the Move tool.

I think there's a plugin out there that will create a scene for each component in a model. i looked at it early on but I found it very inefficient so I didn't pay much attention. That's also something I think is easy enough to do manually and for me, it gives me an opportunity to think about grouping operations in the shop. I can put similar components in the same scene so they all get printed together. Of course I'm not printing from SketchUp directly but I think my method would work better even if I was.

I haven't had the opportunity to try out the SketchUp viewers on the iPad or Android but they sound pretty handy for working in the shop.

Larry, if you need it, I can send you my template file tonight when I get home. I'll also send you a view of a cutlist.

got the template part figured out dave but to see a normal cutlist with its parameters would be good thanks.. and i already know where to pee on the new puter:)

Dave, I'd love to see your template file, too!

Larry, congratulations on what looks to be a lovely piece of furniture. Hope your camera is working and that you will share lots of pictures.

i dont live in DC dave:) and Mr Richards, i tried your trick and the template part didnt change still looks like the new version? a handful of icons on top and nothing on the side? will try it again, am jumping from 8 to what ever the latest is.