Display Cabinet, Oak n Glass

larry merlau

Well i have been on this in the design stages and customer conversation stage since before October of last year so if you want to figure time on this dont:) just look at it as a piece to get some spare lumber into a different location and shape.. its a G&G style sorta and made to fit a certain space so the proportions maybe off but this what she has decided on..the cutlist says around 45 bf of material figuring solid wood on the whole thing. i got some extra so i can pick threw the bad stuff:)
the sketchup file and the first shot of the material and helper.. My other bud Tom said he wanted pics:)

the sketchup file:carol-3652F-picfinal.jpg the material:material & helper.jpg

well i am not hurrying this and got some time in on it the last few days, done some collaborating on procedures with my go to guy Glenn:), sometimes us ole gesure's need verification on our thoughts:)
so to start this off i made some note of part sizes
and printed of my sketch up file for some refernce.
.notes.jpg
then i took and rough cut some parts, which takes longer than some might think when you are looking to grain match,,
parts 1.jpgparts 2.jpg
i also cut out the parts for the top panel and glued it up and sanded it flat. that is what is showed under the parts. i took and clamped it flat to keep it that way..
after you sand out a panel, you run the chance to have it move from the stress inside that is now closer to the surface..better to allow for it than hope the best..
top frame joint.jpgmarking.jpgclamping.jpgparts 008.jpg
after a quick question to glenn, i went with my thoughts on the top frame construction. i took and made sure that each piece was cut the same to help in the squareness.
that helped the final outcome and never forget to use enough clamps:)
rough look.jpg
after that was under control, it was time to layout the parts to see where i was going to be on the door construction,,
had some changes and scrap parts are easier to use than the real ones;)

well today i had fun and its glenns fault again:) we have seen glenn use one of those mortis pal jigs so much that i finally gave in when he posted his thread on them and how he uses them.. so today i put mine to use..and used a new tool for the glue relief part:) now to find out he goes about gluing these up:) they do go quickly, much faster than chopping and using a table saw.

mortises 001.jpgmortises 002.jpgmortises 003.jpgmortises 004.jpg

after i glue it up and looks good and holds up.. i will say yes if i have troubles well i will have to contact glenn and find out what i done wrong i know i am using the wrong brand of router all ready but maybe i can fool it in to working:)

Last edited:
ken sent murphy my way:( went out yesterday to do some more work on the display cabinet and discovered that one of the stiles had decided to move in bad ways..
bow left.jpgbow right.jpg
thought about making it work, but the more i thought about it i decided to make a new part.. and then see how well the mortis pal would duplicate for another piece.
well it was spot on and made me a believer in the jig.. after making the part over and doing a dry fit i glued it up and the other frame as well..
left the stiles square so clamping would be easier.. will cut the taper last.
rear frame dry.jpgrear frame glued.jpg
so after i got them clamped up i made up some trim,, looked at the price of it locally and decided to make my own.. as it turned out it would cost me around 50 dollars for the trim that only took a hour or less.. so a dollar saved is a good day:)
trim 1.jpgtrim 2.jpgtrim 3.jpgtrim 4.jpgtrim 5.jpgtrim 6.jpg