Veneer rookie

Tom Wallace

I've never used veneer. I've done a lot of refinishing, and finally am attempting to actually make my own projects. I just put up a 65" flat-screen on the wall and am going to build a floating Entertainment center. Nothing huge, just 54" long, 16" deep and 12" top to bottom. Anyway I discovered doing this out of solid wood isn't practical, so I'm going to attempt to use veneer. Anybody have any words of wisdom? Also what would be the best material to actually me this with that the veneer will adhere to best?

If any of those questions are stupid, again, rookie

If no solid wood, then that means either plywood or MDF. Plywood will be stronger, and quite a bit lighter than MDF. Either will take the veneer well.

Since you're a veneering 'rookie,' I'd suggest visiting Joe Woodworker's website. There's a lot of good info there, as well as some very good buys on veneer.

For a first project, you might want to consider using adhesive-backed veneer.

I'm far from an expert on veneering, so hopefully someone who's better at it than me will chime in here soon.

I'm also in the veneered plywood camp, unless your after one of the more exotic woods. You can get the veneered plywood in the common nominal thicknesses (1/2, 3/4, even 1/4" if you need it for the back) and it would be a lot easier than trying to roll your own.

Like the other guys said, I'd go veneered plywood if you can find it in the desired wood. If not, using peel-and-stick veneer is an option as Jim mentioned. Yet another option is to get paper-backed veneer in the desired wood and use the iron on method. I've done a ton of veneering by rolling PVA glue on both the paper backing of veneer and the substrate (usually plywood). Allow it to set up until it's mostly clear, then roll on another coat to the veneer backing. Let that set up a bit, then place the veneer on the substrate and run a regular clothing iron at a medium-high setting over the veneer to bond the two glue surfaces together. It's hard to give an exact time for the process; you'll get a feel for it if you practice on a small piece of scrap first.

I use wood on wood veneer but I make my own I use a vacuum press an do a lot at one time. With that been said I only need to use contact cement once I ready to make a project together,

Here is some of my work with Veneer

7.jpgDSC00424.jpg3.jpg4.jpg1.jpg

Its not hard to do just a little bit time consuming but you can do a lot with raw veneer an just making your own panels, I use cherry for the backer on my veneer not paper or stickey back

Roy makes a good point about contact cement, but you have to consider where the finished item will be used. Inside a home, there shouldn't be any problem. The potential issue is heat or the combination of heat AND humidity. Contact cement is sensitive to heat and can soften enough to break the bond.

Yap so true , that's why its best for inside furniture, I would not recommend any veneer use for outdoor use at all. I use cold press glue when I do wood on wood veneers for clients, an they use them on private airplanes an RVs , did some for private boat builders also

Yap so true , that's why its best for inside furniture, I would not recommend any veneer use for outdoor use at all. I use cold press glue when I do wood on wood veneers for clients, an they use them on private airplanes an RVs , did some for private boat builders also

so if i understood you correctly, you are adding veneer to a solid piec of hard wood(cherry)? wont that warp badly from the veneer and glue like water on one side of plywood?

No the veneer of chose is glued to a cherry veneer backer 1/16" thick an then I can set it aside an use latter or I sell them to other companys an they use contact cement, I don't use paper as a backer as some companys do mine are wood on wood

7.jpg

As you can see the ones in the picture are wood on wood veneers table tops I did for Gulf Stream they use contact cement an glue them to air craft aluminum tables an use solid wood for the sides

Construction people often use paper back veneer in 8 foot long sheets to veneer doors or wall panels with contact cement and no special equipment.

For wood veneer on plywood or MDF substrate, I have seen way too many messed up veneer jobs that were attempted with contact cement. If you are expert, fine, but if not already expert, I suggest avoiding contact cement with veneers.

The glue I normally use for wood veneers is plastic resin glue - a dry powder mixed with water just before use. It is applied only to the backing, not to the veneer. I then clamp in a vacuum bag overnight. Wood cauls and regular clamps presumably work, but it is hard to get enough pressure perfectly evenly. As mentioned, Joe Woodworker is a great reference and his linked web site is a great source of veneers and supplies.

In addition to special veneers, I also make a lot of use of "furniture grade plywood" in oak, walnut, mahogany, etc. Probably 60% of the furniture I sell is made with a significant portion of "furniture" plywood.

Since this is my first attempt, I think I'm just going to make a 52" x 16 " x 2 1/4" shelf to put my satellite, dvd, and receiver on. I believe I can just glue 3 pieces of 3/4" plywood together. That way my veneer will be flat easier surfaces and edges.