New guy

Tom Wallace

I've loved refinishing for last 6 or 7 years. Always wanted to actually build things off my own, so I'm getting ready to take the leap. My knowledge in this is somewhere between non existent and dangerously stupid, so I'll be asking dumb questions. I'm fully confident I can make a wooden orange crate look good with my finishing knowledge, just don't know how to make a crate. This will be interesting, and frustrating

Welcome aboard, Tom.

Ask all the questions you want. We'll sure try to answer them for you.

Whereabouts are you located? If you edit your profile here to show a location (just general, or as specific as you're comfortable with) you may find that one of us lives near you.

If you have not purchased a table saw, get some input on what's good for cabinetry type work from some of the guys and gals in here.

New vs. used, price point, extras to add over time, etc.

and,

Welcome aboard :thumb:

Welcome to the clubhouse, Tom. :wave: As Jim said, feel free to ask questions. There are a lot of helpful folks here. :thumb:

Howdy Tom.

I'm sure you've subconciously picked up a lot of details looking at pieces as you re-finished them - that will make the thought process somewhat easier anyway. Looking forward to mutual brian picking, can always use more finishing expertice :D

I was going to make a small entertainment gloating console and use veneer. Since this is really my first project start to finish, I think I'm going to super simplify it. I'm thinking I'll just make a 52 x 16 x 2 1/4 floating shelf. I think I can glue 3 pieces of 3/4" plywood to get my thickness, then the veneer will be all flat surfaces. The edges won't be to small either. Does my logic in this hold up?

I was going to make a small entertainment gloating console and use veneer. Since this is really my first project start to finish, I think I'm going to super simplify it. I'm thinking I'll just make a 52 x 16 x 2 1/4 floating shelf. I think I can glue 3 pieces of 3/4" plywood to get my thickness, then the veneer will be all flat surfaces. The edges won't be to small either. Does my logic in this hold up?

Tom, I think you should be OK, but your question is going to get lost here in your new guy thread. Be best to start a new thread for the most exposure.