Playing with color

Today was another day in the spray booth. I went from a maple stain for a chair, then I have 3 stadium style chairs to stain Honey oak, so I added hickory and green to the maple , tweaked it up a bit and pulled off a beautiful honey oak . Then from there I needed a rich mahogany, I took a red mahogany added a bit of green and came up with a rich cherry / mahogany which is probably my favorite color , then I had a walnut chair I cleaned the cup at this point and used a dark walnut with a touch of green. I was niice to see everything flow one after another with little effort.

It is interesting, the colors certainly are a lot more consistent this way than without adding tinting.

I've been avoiding going down the spray path for a looonnnggg time, but the water born stuff is removing my major blocking issue.

It is interesting, the colors certainly are a lot more consistent this way than without adding tinting.

I've been avoiding going down the spray path for a looonnnggg time, but the water born stuff is removing my major blocking issue.

far rt is maple 1st chair ,to the left 2nd chair is honey oak added hickory and green , 2nd from the lt is the mahogany added tint to the mix , the walnut I dumped the cup and made a walnut and green mix

They all look nice Dave.

Over the years I've seen so many of those Lyre back chairs sell for almost nothing.

They do match the Duncan Phyfe dining tables pretty well in style.

Probably the most intriguing set of Lyre backs I saw in an antique shop a while back,

they were jet black with warm toned cream leather seats, and the lyres were painted gold with decorative details artist brush painted on them in cream green and black.

Scott , things come in waves, I'll not see these for years and then all of a sudden I get a few in from different customers. This is a nice one that we just reglued for the customer.

dave .. when you do a color job on a piece like that or similar it has color in the wood already,, so lets say you had all new wood,, then the color is just laying on top of the wood right? i have some chairs that if you scratch them at all they are raw wood under it .. where as a oil base or water base STAIN would color the wood with some depth right?

Larry you probably have chairs that were sealed 1st with clear then a glaze coat of color. (Stain added to sealer) the finish. When you scratch through the finish and there is not stain in the wood. Its a popular way for finishing that allows easy stripping and change of color. We do that but not as much any more. I found that I can add stain to sealer thin 70/30 and get color into wood but not as strong as direct stain. One of the reasons I really like teaching or informing customers about natural apposed to stain on antiques.