Giant Dining Table Delivered

Great piece Charlie, I didn't know that you could buy mesquite wood in US, I thought it didn't have much comercial value. Definitely one cannot buy it here.

I had assumed that mesquite was a small tree, more like a bush, but my lumber friend finds trees up to 1 meter in diameter. There are apparently not forests of these special trees, but he finds them when he goes looking, and brings them back to his sawmill by truck or trailer. It is a popular wood around here if you are willing to pay 3 to 5 times as much as for other woods, and are willing to fill the many cracks and knots with epoxy. Therefore I only use it on request, and having learned how much work it is to fill and fix, have been advised to double my price, in addition to the higher price of the wood.

A local importer of ipe, a Brazilian hardwood, found mesquite in Brazil or Argentina, and shipped a whole container back here. A friend who only builds mesquite furniture said it looked great, but was a different color than the Texas mesquite, and could not be used in the same project. I never heard what happened to that container full of South American mesquite - I don't know anybody who bought any.