Thread: I started with only a dozen..........

I started with only a dozen..........

.............. but I ended up with 25.......

I guess I turned in to a pen turning zombie

Attachment 7712

There are a bunch of different woods there, some from Bernie Weishapi, some from Barry Stratton, some from Steve Ash, some from Bernie Weishapi via Barry Stratton......

Let me see, Red Keyaki, Ginko, Sakura, American Ash, American Cherry, Teak, Curly Maple, Birds Eye Maple, Wavy Maple (?), Maple, Elm, Osage Orange, Red Heart, Bubinga, Bocote, Bethlehem Olive.....

Man I'm happy I've run out of kits

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Very nice pens Stu! They are addictive.

Wow Stu you are a pen turning guru. Those are some nice looking pens. You definately have a nice variety of wood. Glad I was able to contribute. I still use the pens today that you sent of the Red and Blue Keyaki. Wife carries one set and I carry the other.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice pens! If you want to try to make an unusual pen try this out (I have made two that were given as gifts).

Take the copper pen tubes and coat them with soldering flux. Next wrap each tube with copper wire (18-20 guage) and melt solder over the entire tube of wrapped wire (the solder will seep down between the wire). This will form a solid mass of copper and silver solder (this takes the place of the wood
    blanks). Turn the pen as usual with regular turning tools, finish with either micro crystaline wax or lacquer.

I'm working on an order for six, trying to get lathe time in with real life happening, I have 1 1/2 finished.
    Yours are looking just fine.
    What wood is the fifth from the left, bottom row? Looks almost like ivory. Very nice.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Great job, Stu. I think the sixth from the left on the top row is my favorite.

Jerry, the copper and solder sounds like a cool idea. I may have to give that a spin.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Cool pens man! The thing I love about penturning is that you can do SO many things with pens.

Thanks guys, I hope to sell most of these, if I do, it will make the LOML sit up and take notice, she has recently questioned my turning habit

Even if I get only an average of $30 each, that is $750, she will notice that I think some of them will go for much more, some for a bit less. Some of them are well made () but the wood is kind of plain, but some, the wood is stunning!

The one thing I have to work on is taking better pics of the pens, as I'll try Yahoo auction here in Japan, for a place to sell, I'll also sell in the Liquor shop, so I have to make a display case of some kind.

Jerry the solder and copper pens sound really neat.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Well I guess you better take up writing next. Nice looking bunch of pens Stu.