Record 073 Shoulder Plane

I just listed a Record 073 shoulder plane on eBay and wanted to let you know in case you have any interest. The 073 was the model for the Lie-Nielsen large shoulder plane.

It's in excellent shape but I find it too big and plan to buy the LV medium shoulder plane with the proceeds.

It's one I've been using for the past few years. Just FYI.

Mike

i own one of these and they`re fantastic for doing larger work! no longer in production so likely to go up in price if it matters....tod

i own one of these and they`re fantastic for doing larger work! no longer in production so likely to go up in price if it matters....tod
I don't want to disparage something I'm selling but there are two things I don't like about the 073.

One is the size. I find it hard to hold and control. The extra mass is good for plowing through a cut, however. For large work I now use the LN rabbit plane.

Second is the sharp edges all around the plane. The handle is very nice to hold but the edges of the body are "sharp". I know that I could round the edges but I never got around to it. I always wondered why they manufactured it with such sharp edges.

Anyway, for whatever reason I just don't use it much so it's time to put it up for sale. I'm not a tool collector - I'm a tool user. And if I don't use a tool it's time to sell it.

Mike