Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Scroll saw (Old Arn)

Delta Scroll saw (Old Arn)

This showed up in my shop last night.

This saw was in the shop my father and grandfather shared and I made a lot of little boxes and other projects with it. My brother had it for awhile, cleaned it up and painted it black and then loaned to an uncle for a few years. Unfortunately he stored it in a damp garage and the table ended up rusted and pitted. My brother got it back and cleaned up the table best he could and now I've got it.

So I think I'll disassemble it, get black paint of of it and repaint it Delta gray.

Any idea how to remove the rivets holding the little plates on without drilling them and how to get new ones to replace them if needed?
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Nice old saw. Looks like the motor is a replacement from original, and I doubt it originally came with the 4-step pulleys, either.

Looks like it ought to clean up/refurb nicely.

Those 'rivets' are probably twist-threaded, and will require a counter-clockwise twist to remove them. Not sure how you'd be able to grip the rounded head well enough to do that. You might be able to use a Dremel with a slitting blade and slot the heads, then use a screwdriver to remove them. Other than that...Good Luck!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Jim, you could be right on both the motor and the stepped pulleys. It was like that when my father bought it better than 40 years ago. The motor is labeled "Delta", though. I know there was a variable speed doohickey on at least some of these but this one never had it while it's been in our family.

I'll see if I can get a grip on the rivets, they don't seem to be incredibly tight and the plates are loose. I'd like to be able to get them out without wrecking them if I can but we'll see.

I don't know...I kind of like the black paint. If it's in good shape, I'd leave it that way.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

The rivets are actually probably not rivets but "drive screws". Simply knowing the name will be immensely useful if you need replacements and aren't as lucky as I was to have the local iron monger help you out (after several days of fruitless internet searching ).

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ws&searchMode= - other folks sell them as well,

Thanks Ryan. I came across that name earlier but not in reference to this saw. You're right, though. Knowing the correct name will make searching for them a whole lot easier.

Dave,

I have one just like it in the original Delta grey, and it has the lamp as well. Tod Evans said the lamp was an rare option and it alone is worth about $75. My lamp is brass but the same shape.

Greg

Greg, that's a good thing to know. I had no idea the lamp was that big of a deal.

Dave

When I've repainted equipment I just tape the labels over & trim tight to the edge with an exacto knife it's worked great every time.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

+Bart. Works well.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed