puter help..

larry merlau

when i was trying to copy a file to the shop puter i got not allowed because of not being the admin,, before thenew lap top and windows 8 i could pass things back and forth fine.. is there a place where i can turn on sharing properly. would be nice to have the whole machine shared both ways if possible and not a problem other ways

Couple of things this noob might offer...make sure both 'workgroup' names are the same in each machine {in xp that's 'Start>control panel>system>computer name}...the other is to check your XP windows firewall settings{control panel>windows firewall>exceptions} and make sure the 'file & printer sharing' box has a tick mark....
file sharing.jpg

as to windows 8, can't help ya there....

Just a heads up on Windows XP. I was told yesterday that Microfost is very soon going to drop all support for XP, and you will be left open to all kinds of malware. The best advice is to upgrade. My source for this was pretty reilable. It happens that my wife's computer had XP, but we had decided to replace it at this time just because it was getting long in the tooth. You might want to consider moving up to something more modern. We used XP in the Canadian government, up to the time I left in 2012, but we had to pay Microsoft a bunch of money to have them continue support for us. It was a very good platform in its day, but its day is past.

Win 7 has been a very good platform, way better than XP. Win 8, pretty much universally hated.

Can't wait to see what they pull next!

Just a heads up on Windows XP. I was told yesterday that Microfost is very soon going to drop all support for XP, and you will be left open to all kinds of malware.
Support for Windows XP actually ended on April 8th 2014 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/end-support-help. Every month, Microsoft has what is known as "Patch Tuesday", when they release security patches for their supported products. Whenever a patch is released for Windows 7 or 8, it gives hackers insight into vulnerabilities that are in Windows XP which will not be patched. These are the security holes that can easily be exploited.

Best to update your OS ASAP.

I think I ran into that same issue, not sure I ever got it working. I started using dropbox on each pc and just save the files in the folders under it, they sync to one another automatically, but the free account is limited to 2gb on the free account. I got an extra 50gb with my samsung phone.

Copy.com works the same as dropbox, but they give you 15 GB up front. Not sure what kind of internet service you have, but both do sync over it to the "cloud".

Just a heads up on Windows XP. I was told yesterday that Microfost is very soon going to drop all support for XP, and you will be left open to all kinds of malware. The best advice is to upgrade. My source for this was pretty reilable. It happens that my wife's computer had XP, but we had decided to replace it at this time just because it was getting long in the tooth. You might want to consider moving up to something more modern. We used XP in the Canadian government, up to the time I left in 2012, but we had to pay Microsoft a bunch of money to have them continue support for us. It was a very good platform in its day, but its day is past.

Four of my 5 computers are still on XP. Two of the four cannot be upgraded (Microsoft says the upgrade is easy as soon as I replace the video adapter. But those two are laptops, and the video adapter is an integral part of the mother board, so the only way to do that upgrade is to trash can the whole system.)

If you are careful, XP still works well. My wife installed the last set of upgrades from Microsoft, and her computer stopped working. We uninstalled the final "upgrades" and the system worked again, and has worked fine ever since. Looked to me like Microsoft was trying to force us to pull the plug on XP computers with destructive upgrades.

Win 7 has been a very good platform, way better than XP. Win 8, pretty much universally hated.
Can't wait to see what they pull next!

The one computer at our home (home office) that is not on XP is on Windows 7, and is universally hated at our household. We learned that you have to avoid "Home Group" which seems to be the new heart of file sharing, but everyone sharing has to be on Home Group, which is not in Win XP. There are a lot of things we cannot do with the Win 7 machine on the network that we have been doing happily since Windows 95.

If/when we have to give up our laptops I have been thinking of a Surface Pro 3, with Win 8 to get the Apple iPad like touch screen functionality. My son is a DBA for a company where all the traveling executives love their Surface Pro 3. I hear Win 8 has a grandfather mode for antiques like me, but I haven't tried it.

It seems that the even number releases are somewhat doomed or badly written. As Brent says W7 was good, when I changed my PC it came with Windows 8, and I hate it, many things that I knew how to fix now I can't, the user interface is thought to be used with a tactile monitor. Almost everything changed. I even considered swichting to a Mac PC or installing Linux and forget about windows for ever.

I do not know whether they do it on purpose but it is a pain on the neck.!

I'm still using XP on one machine, mainly because so many of my {old} programs won't carry over, that, and being this machine is from 2003 so the limits are stretched as it is. I have the other pc set up with linux mint 17 and with their 'cinnamon' desktop, it is almost as familar as XP, no looking on the web to find this setting or that control, easy peasy. So now I have one dedicated to video/audio and what-not programs, and the Linux for internet surfing. Also no more paying to upgrade OS's which this po boy likes very mucho :D