Thread: Restored to internet life...

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Restored to internet life...

I went out today with my wife, and bought her a laptop ($399), bought us a printer ($99), and also a router ($69). That comes to $567, but by the time we added extended warranties, Microsoft Office, Malware protection and taxes, we spent $996. We both suffered a bit of sticker shock, and went for lunch afterwards and just didn't talk through the meal. I spent 3 hours this afternoon trying to get the router to connect. I followed the instructions to the letter, but it would just not connect. I called for support and was told they could help me if I paid $150, so I hung up. I tried some tricks I had learned in the past, reset the damned thing three times and tried again. Finally I took it back to the store, asked for their advice, and they gave me a replacement.

I started out again, could not connect, so I thought there might be a problem with the modem. Called the local ISP. They said they couldn't see anything wrong with my connection, but if I couldn't connect I could have a technician come out tomorrow and possibly replace the modem. They also gave me the support number for Dlink, who I called, and somehow the magician at the other end solved my problem in about a minute by having me unplug the router and the modem and then plug them back in (as if I hadn't tried that myself!) All of a sudden, the stupid thing worked, and all the devices in my house are happily connecting to the internet. I rewarded myself with a large glass of good Canadian whisky, and have been making up for lost time on the internet ever since.

I'm baaaack!

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

ABQ NM
    Sorry to see you had such troubles, Roger, but glad to see you're back.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Delton, Michigan
    glad you got threw it i had similiar troubles not long ago,, as for the exteneded warranties go,, the one they offered me was almost 2/3rds of the initail cost of puter no thanks buy another new on if it dies.. the software deals are a bite for sure and so maany now days dont offer cds just a down loaded file that is gone once used.. sometimes you can contact the company and get reinstated i did on the virus protction and malware..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Yorktown, Virginia
    One glass? That's at least a four glass event, and that's just for the sticker shock!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Well, that made me want a drink just reading about your endeavors. About the only things I do extended warranties on are cars and refrigerators anymore, everything else better have at least a year or three included if I spend the money on it. Glad you're back.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault