Amazing Joint Work..... No Really, I'm not kidding....

That was amazing Stu. I actually saw the gap on the back and thought you could take it back apart that way! With glue, an interesting way to make a beam that can be more easily transported to the site I would assume.

I am still trying to figure out how they made the joint...specialty machine or by hand....

I haven't had a change to search Stuart, but I assume somewhere there is a video showing them cut this joint?

It is cool but is it just a non-structural splice joint or is it structural?

I am still trying to figure out how they made the joint...specialty machine or by hand....

I haven't had a change to search Stuart, but I assume somewhere there is a video showing them cut this joint?

It is cool but is it just a non-structural splice joint or is it structural?

Not that joint exactly, but I think you get the idea....

At about the 4:40 mark you can see him using a goose-neck dovetail slick, very cool, and the larger slick he uses after that, also very cool.

Now he is shaving off paper think bits of softwood endgrain..... are your chisels that sharp...? :D

Stu is this timber framing method for homes or only for special sites say like a shrine or temple?

The video you posted of that joint is number 40 given not all on their site are numbered in a way i could read them can you tell if there is a number 41 which would follow where that joint gets locked in with the next?

Got waylaid on the drum links which were in an around this companies video mix

Take a look at this there are other Japanese ones around that take you through the whole process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tREzw1Dp2s

I have a japanese book on joinery and this joint is described in it, among many others more complex and really clever which are suposed to withdstand the lateral movements as well as vertical ones. I wonder the amount of time need to make such perfect joint, and who or what institution will pay for it.

I believe that this must be some sort of ancient house restoration, which are the only ones who can afford such expense. Maybe Stu can chime in about it.

Last edited: