mechanic question, carberator parts

larry merlau

ok have a atv that needs some attention in the carb department and my fix it guy asked me some questions to find out the answers so i found a manual and it doesnt have all the ansers? and its a full service repair manual... so here are a couple questions on part name and or descriptions..
air jet, is that the same as - pilot jet air
jet needle clip position? nothing close on this one only thing similar was needle jet
pilot screw opening? only thing found on that was a figure of 2 5/8 turns back?

so you folks in the know where do i get the answers if what i have isnt right?

What's the make on the ATV Larry? I've had a lot of good luck getting info on my Polaris at http://www.polarisatvforums.com

Maybe there's a similar forum for your make?

So far, I've done a lot of work on mine. What I like is that it's small enough, and old enough, that I can still do the work myself.

Well the main jet, jet needle and needle jet are all different, they control the mixture at different throttle postions, but to be honest it's almost not worth playing with a stock carb, especially an old one, because you could chase these problem around that carb forever, and never get it right with out replacing all of them and just doing a carb rebuild, and that may not fix anything. If it were me for under $50 you get a great aftermarket mikuni carb and kick that thing into overdrive. Mikuni makes the best ATV/motorcycle carb on planet period, and their manual will come with it, as well as great free tech support. Here is just one site that sells mikuni carbs for ATV's. I converted my V Star 1100 to the KJS single carb system (got rid of the dual carb, pain to work with) and got a HS40 Mikuni,(the HS40 is a little more then $50..lol..) but it will stump every other V Star on the road now, not to mention the bike sounds like a Harley now..lol...that would be my suggestion

http://www.aliexpress.com/popular/mikuni-atv-carburetors.html

edit: Forgot to mention when anything say pilot it reference air adjustment, jet are usually fuel adjustment, shims are used make an otherwise wrong jet work weather it be main or other jet, some folks may call them clips

Last edited:
ok guys here is the make and models.. 1999 susuki king quad lt-f300f with a mikuni bst31ss carb, it was rebuilt buy a service center 2 years ago and has started hard ever sence its closer now than it has been but trying to get it to start better in cold weather. the idle was to low for starters and now he asked for this info i mentioned earlier