Recommended Spray Adhesive?

David Agnew

Could you guys recommend me a spray adhesive for temporarily applying patterns? I've got a pattern I want to print out on standard printer paper, stick to a piece of oak, then drill, cut, and shape the edges, then peel the paper off without resorting to planing it off. In the past, I've tried to use a very very thin coat of wood glue to secure the paper, but it never works out... either too little (pattern comes off in the middle of work) or too much (pattern doesn't come off at all).

Thanks.

David, I use 3M Super 77. When you are finished, put some mineral spirits on the pattern and it peels right off. Wipe off the residue with a paper towel.

Thanks guys. Sounds unanimous.

On removal - you're saying I soak the pattern through with paint thinner and it'll come right off?

I have the #77 right now that I am using, but I have used the spray adhesive that Wally World sells and it worked just as well and was cheaper. Like Bill, I use acetone to remove the pattern and residue with good results.

I'll pick some #77 up tonight.

My paint thinner says "100% mineral spirits" so I think it'll be fine. I've got some acetone also, so it's nice to have options.

The primary reason I tend to use acetone is that I keep come in a small squeeze bottle, so it's easy to drop a little on the paper, peel it off, then wipe the surface of the wood before sanding it lightly.

A second method---I do a lot of pattern routing using 3m 77 adhesive to adhere the patterns. To remove the patterns I use my heat gun--- works well and quickly. Use some lacquer thinner for a quick clean up of remaining adhesive---works for me.

Just wanted to come full circle here. Used the 77 on a pattern tonight. Paint thinner (100% mineral spirits) took it right off. Put thinner on a paper towel, wiped down the pattern, waited 10-15 seconds as it soaked through, then it practically fell off. Used the still-soaked paper towel to wipe down the workpiece and take off any adhesive residue. Worked like a charm!

Oh, and the 77 kept my pattern nice and in place too. :)

Just wanted to come full circle here. Used the 77 on a pattern tonight. Paint thinner (100% mineral spirits) took it right off. Put thinner on a paper towel, wiped down the pattern, waited 10-15 seconds as it soaked through, then it practically fell off. Used the still-soaked paper towel to wipe down the workpiece and take off any adhesive residue. Worked like a charm!
Oh, and the 77 kept my pattern nice and in place too. :)

Tada!! Glad to hear it worked for you Dave.