Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Table

Post Router Table

So I upgraded routers this holiday season...nothing real nice, just the Skil 2.25hp combo, but now I'm ready to make a router table wing for my TS. Upgrade from my black and decker plunge and the ryobi benchtop table with ryobi routerin it. I have I've got a 2.5" thick piece of particle board that has formica on both sides that I'll rap in some hardwood for the table. I plan on making a cabinet to go below it out of 3/4 ply with some storage for bits and other router stuff.

My dilemma is....to get a router plate or just mount it to the top. I'll have the plunge base to use the router motor out of the table and have 3 other 1/4" collet routers to do various routing...do I need the plate? I've googled, YouTubed it to death, and my dad and I talked about this last night and we are both stumped as what to do. He's kinda in the same place as he is getting ready to pull the trigger on a router upgrade and build a table as well.

I need some Family input....What say you all?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

One thing most inserts will give is a set of rings for the opening. That way you can adjust the opening size to the bit in use (or close). The one I used when my router was in the table saw extension also had a blank ring insert (no hole). That struck me as really useful since when I wasn't using the router it kept all manner of stuff from falling through the hole into the router motor.

I agree with Fred about a plate with different size inserts. In fact, I have an old one that needs a new home, if you want it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0590[1].jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	88534

It measures 11" by 8". I'm not sure what different bases will fit it. I had a Bosch 1617EVS fixed base on it for several years. The inserts are some type of plastic, so you could make various sized openings in addition to the ones you see in the photo as well as a blank as Fred described.

Let me know if you can use it.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

WOW Bill, I'd be dumb to not take you up on that offer...thanks!

I'll pm you my address and we can work out how I can send you $ for shipping.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

PM sent.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

This place is great!! Thanks Bill!
    My Website

Ya gotta love family!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Jeff

I have the old Hitachi M12V plunge router in my left table saw wing with the router raiser system.

http://www.routertechnologies.com/routerraizer.htm
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Got to work on the new router table last night finally. The top is just set on top right now to check for height. It will be smaller and be wrapped in oak or maple strips. The bottom 1/3 will be a drawer to put my other routers in. The upper part on the left will have the power switch and room to attache the dust collection hose for below table collection. Right below that will be a narrow drawer for wrenches and other small parts. There will be a couple narrow drawers on the upper right for bits and such. The outer left side of the cab will have room to hang the fence and it's DC hose when not in use. Hope to get it mostly completed this weekend...free time is all I need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150121_194941.jpg   20150121_194929.jpg   20150121_195025.jpg  
    My Website

Router Table

Looking good so far, Jeff. If you're like a lot of us, that bottom drawer is likely to fill up with routers sooner than you think.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com