Router Table

Jeff Bower

So I upgraded routers this holiday season...nothing real nice, just the Skil 2.25hp combo, but now I'm ready to make a router table wing for my TS. Upgrade from my black and decker plunge and the ryobi benchtop table with ryobi routerin it. I have I've got a 2.5" thick piece of particle board that has formica on both sides that I'll rap in some hardwood for the table. I plan on making a cabinet to go below it out of 3/4 ply with some storage for bits and other router stuff.

My dilemma is....to get a router plate or just mount it to the top. I'll have the plunge base to use the router motor out of the table and have 3 other 1/4" collet routers to do various routing...do I need the plate? I've googled, YouTubed it to death, and my dad and I talked about this last night and we are both stumped as what to do. He's kinda in the same place as he is getting ready to pull the trigger on a router upgrade and build a table as well.

I need some Family input....What say you all? :dunno:

One thing most inserts will give is a set of rings for the opening. That way you can adjust the opening size to the bit in use (or close). The one I used when my router was in the table saw extension also had a blank ring insert (no hole). That struck me as really useful since when I wasn't using the router it kept all manner of stuff from falling through the hole into the router motor.

I agree with Fred about a plate with different size inserts. In fact, I have an old one that needs a new home, if you want it.

100_0590[1].jpg

It measures 11" by 8". I'm not sure what different bases will fit it. I had a Bosch 1617EVS fixed base on it for several years. The inserts are some type of plastic, so you could make various sized openings in addition to the ones you see in the photo as well as a blank as Fred described.

Let me know if you can use it.

WOW Bill, I'd be dumb to not take you up on that offer...thanks! :thumb::D

I'll pm you my address and we can work out how I can send you $ for shipping.

Got to work on the new router table last night finally. The top is just set on top right now to check for height. It will be smaller and be wrapped in oak or maple strips. The bottom 1/3 will be a drawer to put my other routers in. The upper part on the left will have the power switch and room to attache the dust collection hose for below table collection. Right below that will be a narrow drawer for wrenches and other small parts. There will be a couple narrow drawers on the upper right for bits and such. The outer left side of the cab will have room to hang the fence and it's DC hose when not in use. Hope to get it mostly completed this weekend...free time is all I need. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20150121_194941.jpg
    20150121_194941.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20150121_194929.jpg
    20150121_194929.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20150121_195025.jpg
    20150121_195025.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 33
Looking good so far, Jeff. If you're like a lot of us, that bottom drawer is likely to fill up with routers sooner than you think. :)

Looking good so far, Jeff. If you're like a lot of us, that bottom drawer is likely to fill up with routers sooner than you think. :)

Too true. The drawer I made for that would be better suited as 3 smaller drawers as on the other side. Doing that is on my list as there haven't been routers in that drawer for years. They're in a cabinet across the room since I don't need them at my fingertips when I am at the router table. The drawer is currently full of stuff I need when I am at the router table (the picture is so old it shows my old saw and router table top) ;-) The drawer is now full of featherboards, push pads, router bits, fence spacers for jointing, fence stop blocks and so forth.

Ext_Wing_Gone_Wild.jpg

Last edited:
What ever you do don't put your routers in a drawer. It's like planting mushrooms in the dark. By the time you get back to it the drawer is so full you can't get it open. i now have 5 1/2" x 1/4" routers 4 1/4" routers & 2 1/4" trimmers.

The 4 1/4" routers were free or almost free. The M12V was free need a small part as was the Hitachi 2 hp & 1 corded trimmer I purchased the Dewalt 621 & the 2 PC 690's & the 18V trimmer.

Attachments

• 6 Routers 2 trimmers 2a.jpg
    6 Routers 2 trimmers 2a.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thanks all! :thumb:

I only have the new router combo, a trim router, a B&D plunge and the Ryobi that will be coming off my table top router table. My bench and TS/Router Table are right next to each other so I think the routers being stored in the router table bottom drawer will work well for me. That can always change though. Besides, I don't see myself ever needing to buy another router...:rolleyes::D

Made more headway on the router table last night. Hard to get much done when I only have an hour here and there. :(

Got the tabletop sized and wrapped in oak and have a good idea of where the router plate will go. Thanks again Tom it arrived yesterday! :thumb: Do to size constraints, I'll only have room for a couple small drawers for bits and misc. to the right of the router. Switch will go on the left side as well as dust collection port. Will eventually add a door to enclose the router to improve DC.

Attachments

• 20150126_211850.jpg
    20150126_211850.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20150126_211859.jpg
    20150126_211859.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 17