Thread: WIP

During Ted's visit, he noted the lathe was by itself in the corner. Truthfully, it has not been turned on in a while.

I had picked up some Iwasaki wood files from Woodcraft.

Never bought any handles for them. So I figured it was time to dust of the lathe and crank it up.

Spent a couple hours on Sunday, got halfway done. Simple, nothing fancy but they work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG05766sm.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	88595

The handle is Mahogany with a copper cap.

Name:	IMG05768sm.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	88596

The copper was going to be used for the air lines.

Name:	IMG05770sm.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	88597

Delton, Michigan
    looks good rob
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Oak Harbor Washington on Whidbey Island
    Looks like you handled the job quite well.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

The Gorge Area, Oregon
    Those came out nice. Love my Iwasaki's - you have a pretty complete looking collection there, I only have a couple but man on anything that I can use them on I do.

What did you use for finish on the mahogany?

Yorktown, Virginia
    I thought I felt a disturbance in the force. Nice looking handles, Rob

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    Those are darned good looking basic file handles. What is the diameter and length of the handle?

Enjoy and thanks for showing,
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Well done Rob. I need to do a few of those myself. I did some on my carving chisels a few years back. I used the copper caps with holes drilled in the ends, but the were epoxied in too.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Ryan: I bought two small ones a year ago during a Woodcraft sale and was amazed how well they cut. At the last annual sale I picked up the rest of them. Since I wanted to protect both the copper and the wood, I used 4 light coats of shellac.

Jim: DIMENSION: Overall length was 4 1/2", copper was 1-1/4" long. Diameter is about 1-1/8". The size was not really planned, I just mounted one of the blanks and start creating sawdust. The first one was a little longer and fatter and didn't feel right, so I turned it down smaller. I don't have large hands, so they are comfortable for me.

Darren: I just used a center punch and pinch the copper in three locations (not my idea, I just saw how the other file handles were made.) I also just stepped drilled the wood and used a rubber mallet to get a good solid press fit of the file in the handle.

Ted: I guess the whirly/spinning must have set up a temporary magnetic field that induced a plasma state in Yorktown and you must not have been wearing your aluminum foil hat to block the pulsating waves......

Reno, Nv
    Good lookin' work Rob. Good use for a wood spinner!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots