Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: laminate top, am I missing something,

laminate top, am I missing something,

I wanted a no seam work surface for my wifes sewing room, but it seems that isn't going to happen unless Im missing something.
    the laminate is 4x8 sheet, and I don't see how I cant make a it without a seam in the laminate.
    Im thinking make the long side one long piece, then seam it there on the right.
    Is there some way better to approach this?
    Without complicating it, I need it simple glue and laminate, top will be made of particle board
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1757.jpg  
    Human Test Dummy

trying to explain how Ill cut it up.
    first,Ill tape and rip a 2.5 inch strip so Ill have a piece for long 1.5 inch edge.
    Then Ill rip at 22 inches. use first piece to cover long end, then second piece to overlap an inch on short end, tape together, cut on overlap so edge matches as best as I can get it.
    Then when I glue up top, have seam on right side an inch or so after the 20 inch depth of long piece.
    Not sure if that explains my plan of attack, its all new to me. Ill use the remainder of the pieces to laminate edges, which I will do first.
    Human Test Dummy

Allen Formica has laminate in 5' X 12" sheets according to their web site, You might have to order it from a cabinet shop if you don't have a supplier close by
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 5.09.52 PM.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	88657
    Last edited by Charles Hans; 01-21-2015 at 10:11 PM.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

was going to say the same thing Charles. best to order the larger sheet if you can
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

If you can't locate the larger sheet, is there a place where the seam will interfere the least? Maybe you could put the seam in the corner of the L?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Allen Model (1).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	88658

that's the kind of idea Im looking for ted, thanx...........if I can cut the laminate correctly, your idea would probably be least noticeable, but toughest to cut. I need to have strips long enough to cover long piece front edge, but I think I can work with it the way you laid it out.
    Im going to contact 2 lumber yards near me and see if they sell anything wider than 48 inches, but I don't want to have to spend 130 dollars a sheet.
    Human Test Dummy

4' x 8' boy that would be nice the laminate here is 3' x 6'......
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

allen, precut first and then you can use short sticks on all of it.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Allen

You can get 5x12 laminat at HD special order. A guided circular saw system works great for ripping down right close to size leaving just enough for trimming with the trimmer. Put your end strips on first trim them then your front strip so it overlaps then ends to be trimmed. Back-splash is last to be glued to the wall after top roll down. I hope you ahave a J-roller You can also use a block of wood & hammer or rubber mallet to help get good adhesion. Make sure you have a good laminate file. You can use water based contact cement on new clean sanded substrate, but make sure if you putting new laminate over old laminate to strip the edges & sand the edges & remove the back splash & sand the top laminate to help glue grip (belt sander) & use only the original contact cement not water based as the water based will let loose over time. I assume your going to calk where the back splash & the top meet. I forgot about the sticks to suspend the top laminate until you get it lined up. Or you can also use a electric cord looped back & forth. I've use old plastic vertical blinds for sliding glass doors they work great.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 01-22-2015 at 03:29 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

this is not a kitchen countertop, is a work center for my wifes sewing room.
    I looked into the 5x12 sheets, and they run close to 200 dollars.
    Add in 2 sheets particle board, glue, roller, and a good trim bit, Im going to price this simple simon countertop out to have it made for me.
    Theres nothing fancy about it, no backsplash, the back edge does not have to be finished, and theres no caulking anywhere.
    Its going to have her sewing machine on top of it, and all her sewing stuff.
    I was going to just use oak plywood, stained and poly but I thought about something a bit nicer.
    gonna cost me around 300 dollars to make, and if I mess up, and Im known for that, especially since its my first try, well, expensive.
    How much will this simple flat front laminate top run me?
    I have to go to lowes or HD and ask them.
    My other option, besides gluing up hard maple for the top, is buying ready made hardwood countertops.

so I figure around 18 square feet of countertop, or close to it.
    if I can get someone to make it for 15 dollars a sq foot, it will still cost me less than making it myself, or around same price.
    I have to research this.
    Last edited by allen levine; 01-22-2015 at 08:31 PM.
    Human Test Dummy