Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting CL ad - air compressor from an engine

Interesting CL ad - air compressor from an engine

Sadly there was no picture but the device was described thusly:

2) a air compresser from a small block ford. 4 cylinders fire 4 pump air. Propane ran. 125 cfm constant $225

Hmm fascinating. Not sure why I haven't run into this idea before (or if I did why I forgot it!!). Bears some thinking about maybe...

Some quick interwebs searching and we see that its not a unique idea by any stretch.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how...air-compressor

From a brigs:

Possibly even more bizarre - this guy is using two cylinders to drive the engine and the other two as compressor pumps.

My BIL is a heavy machinery mechanic, he's got one that is built from a 8 cylinder engine using two or four of the cylinders for compressing air. If I recall they used check valves in place of the spark plugs, was used for running a jack hammers or sand blasters.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Makes sense. When you look at it, overall an internal combustion engine is nothing but a big air pump.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

There were quite a few VW motors doing this over the years.

Good quantity of air/duty cycle: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Volks-A...R3S-p/dr3s.htm

I remember reading an article somewhere on Samba I think, about some Kombi van's that were still used in Airports in Germany, with a motor/pump, in the Cargo area, that were finally retired. (think it was around 2008)

When I was growing up on the farm, we had a spark plug pump that we used on the old Farmall tractor to air up the tires. Just remove one spark plug, screw in the pump, and crank (make sure you watched for kickback). Worked like a charm, but you wanted to make sure the block was pretty cool. Then you had to crank it again after you put the spark plug back in.

Years ago, Canadian Tire used to sell a hose which could be screwed into one of the spark plug sockets on any engine, then the engine could be started and the hose used to inflate a tire. It always made me wonder if it wasn't a little dangerous to put an explosive mixture of air and gasoline into a tire.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Neat follow ups - thanks folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    Years ago, Canadian Tire used to sell a hose which could be screwed into one of the spark plug sockets on any engine, then the engine could be started and the hose used to inflate a tire. It always made me wonder if it wasn't a little dangerous to put an explosive mixture of air and gasoline into a tire.
    I don't know about the air and gasoline in a tire, but when I worked at the airport in SF, we had a mechanic killed when an airplane tire exploded... it was filled with nitrogen.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Airplane tires usually operate at very high pressures, anywhere from 50 to 250 psi. Of course the high pressure ones are 26-28 ply tires so they can handle it. Another hazard on most aviation tires is two-piece rims. When a tire is off the aircraft, it's supposed to be inside a tire cage for inflating. On the aircraft is a different story. It's possible to overinflate a tire or for a defect in the tire or rim to cause a blowout. At those pressures, a blowout is explosive. I had a friend who was killed because he wanted to try to help the tire shop change a tire faster and he started taking apart the rim before the tire was completely deflated. Even "flat", there was enough pressure to make the rim come apart catastrophically when he had enough of the bolts holding the rim parts together off. Tires are just one more pressure vessel that need to be respected.

Steve

I used to hide off to the side whenever I put air in the front tires of my old Chevy one ton. Gas stations without a cage wouldn't touch those split rim tires.