Thread: Tippe top

Tippe top

My Advanced Woodturning class is 3 weeks into their new semester. One of the things I try to teach is, time management. They are given their 9 week assignments at the beginning of the grading period and then as a group they decide on their final exam (from two I can live with). This 9 weeks they have to turn a gumball machine and 4 new to them (pen styles they haven't turned yet) pens. This does allow for extra work, they have to work it in and complete it once it is agreed on between us. So, that leads me to my "proud as a peacock" post. My advanced class decided on a tippe top for their final exam. If you haven't ever seen it, here are two of the you tube videos we used to help us understand this process.

http://youtu.be/K95Au0LcRTM

And the second video showed that the hollowing wasn't really needed and how to "adjust" the top to make it work.

http://youtu.be/24ApXC7iabE

I being the computer illiterate that I am, cannot show you the tippe top that one of my students finished today and it works!!! Amazing. We have been all over the school showing it to the physics and other science teachers, the principal, secretaries and anyone else that would stop and watch it work. They are fun!!!!!! Hope to hear of some of you being successful with this.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

That's a nice project, Jon. I bet they have some real fun with them. Added to my to do list

Tippe top

Very cool, Jon!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Added to my list too! Thanks Jon!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Very cool Jon! Sounds like you have a good class there.

Thanks for sharing that, it seems like a good present for the young ones and the older ones will like it to

Well done Johnathan go ahead and strut your stuff i aplaude you for teaching.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Ha!! Never seen one of those...really cool project!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    That's a nice project, Jon. I bet they have some real fun with them. Added to my to do list
    The first student to get his done got it working after rechucking it two times. He is very meticulous. The others that have started since he completed his have found it to be a little more demanding!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Very cool, Jon!
    Thanks, it really makes people take a second look when it jumps upside down!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Added to my list too! Thanks Jon!
    RPM's seem to help along with mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Very cool Jon! Sounds like you have a good class there.

Thanks for sharing that, it seems like a good present for the young ones and the older ones will like it to
    It will teach you how to spin. Thinking for one arthritic boy am going to show him how to make a handle and pull string to get his rpm's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Well done Johnathan go ahead and strut your stuff i aplaude you for teaching.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Thank you Rob, it is great to see them have success and for this student visit the "academic" wing and strut his stuff to the physics teacher (who by the way is a great guy and really engaged and congratulated this student on his achievement).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Ha!! Never seen one of those...really cool project!!
    I just ran across it as my beginners have to turn a top and to get an A on the project it has to spin for a full minute. Saw this and WHAM! I knew it was to be!!!!!!!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING