Veneering 101/ tods style:)part 1,2,//The end Has come

larry merlau

well tod made and offer to help me out in project, and i took him up on it. so i got the pattern figured out. and sent it to him to use for the form making process. he took and made the form from the pattern i sent and then took and laid up the substrate out of 3 layers of bending ply. then put it in the bag and let vacume do its thing:thumb:
tn_Tod Larry Steve 006.jpg
then we had to trim the veneer of course tod had a high tech clamping system:rolleyes:
tn_Tod Larry Steve 008.jpg tn_Tod Larry Steve 007.jpg
then we had to layup the veneer in a panel
tn_Tod Larry Steve 009.jpg tn_Tod Larry Steve 011.jpg

Attachments

• tn_Tod Larry Steve 010.jpg
    tn_Tod Larry Steve 010.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
View attachment 7786
then we had to trim the veneer of course tod had a high tech clamping system:rolleyes:

Hi-tech in Arkansas?.....Does tod have indoor plumbing yet?:eek:

If so does the door have a half moon cut into to it?....In other words did he reuse the old door?:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Part 2

well we hadnt ever done this before and tod was very helpful in giving his tricks for lining up the vener and other techniques he has learned in the past decades:D he is really very old. thats why the sun rflects of his noggen so:D

pinch methode for lining up the joints.
tn_Tod Larry Steve 012.jpg

tn_Tod Larry Steve 014.jpg tn_Tod Larry Steve 015.jpg
the completed panel, back sidetn_Tod Larry Steve 013.jpg
then we had to apply the veneer tape to the face side of the panel.Tod Larry Steve 016.jpg

Part 3

back side after it has had its time in the bag,, looks great to me,, prurty clevr
tn_Tod Larry Steve 017.jpg
sanding substrate for the next side of veneer.
tn_Tod Larry Steve 018.jpg
the operation is a success,
tn_Tod Larry Steve 021.jpg
and i am one happy woodworker:D
tn_Tod Larry Steve 022.jpg
Many thanks to tod and his shop for this very nice offer of his services:thumb: :thumb: if any of you get a chance to visit him you will find him to be one very fine person!!!! even if he looks alittle ruff arund the edges trust me he isnt rough inside!!! thanks again tod for all of your help... one of the triplets:D :D :D :thumb:

View attachment 7786

Hi-tech in Arkansas?.....Does tod have indoor plumbing yet?:eek:

If so does the door have a half moon cut into to it?....In other words did he reuse the old door?:eek: :rolleyes: :D

oh yeah he has it all!!! indoor and outdoor.. and if there is somethingthat can be made in reguards to tooling jigs or anything tod can do it.. just walking threw his shop and lookin athe tools he made is amazing.. he's a walkin tech manual in his shiunny head..:D

Looks like a fun day in the shop! Whatcha making Larry?

sleigh bed fer my youngest daught and her hubby ..delayed weddin present.. sorry wrong account... same answer

Last edited:
Tod looks like he knows what he's doing, for sure. I think he's done it a few times. ;)

We're gonna be expecting progress pics on the bed, Larry. :D

Hummm, is there any policy about how old your picture in your avatar can be?
Tod1.jpgTod (200 x 196).jpg

I think I'll go check out *my* school pictures:)

"It's never too soon to have your picture taken."

Mike

Now that you mention it Mike, Tod IS in the pic, I was looking at the marvelous cabinet in the pic, and making sure I did not get too close, or that Dawg might take my leg off :eek:

Hey Tod, you clean up real good! :thumb: :D

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Tod really does have a nice shop. Wish I'd had some time to work on a project with him and get some of that knowledge when I was out there!

Don't know why you guys are so intimidated by those little dogs he has. All they want is to get their ears scratched!:)

Vaughn SAID!

Tod looks like he knows what he's doing, for sure. I think he's done it a few times. ;)

We're gonna be expecting progress pics on the bed, Larry. :D

well its back on the burner again:) got caught up enuff and more room so i can continue,, got the wood cut fer it and have got the thicker stuff ordered will be done next! the tree work is done so i am back in the shop again:thumb: gonna need some questions answered as i go along here,, so dont run off yet:thumb:

first question is? how hard is it to do some simple carving in cherry end grain? am lookin to try a snail curl ,, i know that aint the right name, but mike henderson, you know what i mean:) it looks like one of those giant snails.. ;)this is headed for the top of the right and left side of the head board if i can do it.

DTO and shop time

welli got told to stay home today, by the boss:) work is slow.. so i headed back out the shop to work on the bed that vaughn asked about some time ago.. planed the 8/4 and got the panel sanded.. now for the cutin of it and figuring how to anchor it in the sides.. so here is another question fer the family wize ones???

the bed is a sleigh type head board, its gonna be Approximatly 2" thick and the panel is 3/4" thick by approx 58" long.. the top of the panel wil fit into a top rail that will be M&T into the sides .. and the bottom of it sets in a grove on the bottom rail that will also be M&T to hold the top and bottom secure to the sides but the panel needs to anchored some how in a dado,, and then how do you treat the crack that will be there from the panel and dado match?? thanks for the help folks:thumb:

welli got told to stay home today, by the boss:) work is slow.. so i headed back out the shop to work on the bed that vaughn asked about some time ago.. planed the 8/4 and got the panel sanded.. now for the cutin of it and figuring how to anchor it in the sides.. so here is another question fer the family wize ones???

the bed is a sleigh type head board, its gonna be Approximatly 2" thick and the panel is 3/4" thick by approx 58" long.. the top of the panel wil fit into a top rail that will be M&T into the sides .. and the bottom of it sets in a grove on the bottom rail that will also be M&T to hold the top and bottom secure to the sides but the panel needs to anchored some how in a dado,, and then how do you treat the crack that will be there from the panel and dado match?? thanks for the help folks:thumb:

Larry, are you talking about where the headboard panel attaches to the side frame (stiles..I guess)? I would think you could make a pattern of the curved sides of the headboard panel and then use a router and make a groove/dado in those stiles and just treat the whole thing like any other panel with all four edges of the panel in a dado, what ya think?:dunno:

ok norman your one thew same track as i am but i dont think i am goona be ablke to make that dado to fit purty all the way along the curve??? and then to cover up my goofs i figure i need about 6" cove:rofl: the top and bottom rails will hold it all together after i get it fitted in there but i need it to look good.. after i get this done i can make something that is all flat and simple..this is to close to round spiny stuuf