Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 17-959l upgrades

Delta 17-959l upgrades

I've had this drill press for a few years and have done some upgrades over the years. I thought I would show what I have done to it. The first thing I did was correct the quill slop that developed a year or so ago. I converted the regular head casting to a split casting by cutting through the front of the head behind the plastic switch cover. This worked well to correct the wiggle I was getting. I installed 2 bolts, the top one is tapped in the head and is for setting tension to take up the play, the second is used with the lever on the side as a quill lock which I like much better than the stock lock. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0905.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	88720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0916.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	88721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0907.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	88722

Just after Christmas I changed the stock chuck to a keyless, it was only $35 or so plus the jt33 to mt2 arbor. I really like it, it tightens down on the bit easily, holds tight and is very high quality. , I added dust collection way back that I am still using and works well. Its really simple and relatively cheap. 2" PVC with 3 unions that work as pivot points. I can move the arm up, down, in, out, left, right. It stays right where I put it, the unions can be tightened or loosened to adjust the stiffness, I have a set screw in each union nut that I use to hold the nut where I want it for the right stiffness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1383.jpg   IMG_1382.jpg  

The main upgrade I did was to make this electronic variable speed. I replaced the stock 3/4hp 1 phase motor with a 3/4 3 phase from a booster pump. I wanted something bigger, I was looking for a 1.5hp motor but couldn't find one that was in decent shape. With the torque boost mode on the VFD there is plenty of power with the 3/4hp motor. It is a 3450rpm motor and I have the belts set for a reduction, I believe its set for about a 2:1 reduction right now and I can turn the speed down to 1hz and grab the chuck and the belt will slip before the motor stalls. I am using external controls for the VFD which are all mounted in the switch box of the drill press, the stock start stop switch is wired to start/ stop the VFD, there is a speed potentiometer mounted above that and a small forward/reverse switch on the side( not sure when I need reverse, but all the cool kids have it). I also added 2 switches, one turns on the tach and gooseneck light and the other turns on the dust collector( which is actually my house central vac. I have an auto blast gate on it and a small cyclone ahead of the central vac). I also added a digital tachometer, I bought it off eBay for about $12 and it works great. It uses a hall effect sensor that senses a magnet attached to the spindle v pulley. I made a small box for the display to mount in and it is fit to the front of the belt cover.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1388.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	88729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1389.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	88730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1379.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	88731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1381.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	88732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1380.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	88733

Looks like some nice upgrades. So do I understand that the quill stop is for locking the quill to a specific position?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Well done Dave you very good engineer. The house shop vac i presume is only used for drilling machine now?? Really clever move on the tacho next we will see Delta doing that.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Those are some nice upgrades Dave I really like the dust adjustment set up
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Well done Dave you very good engineer. The house shop vac i presume is only used for drilling machine now?? Really clever move on the tacho next we will see Delta doing that. Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    The central vac is also used for the house vacuum. I also have another auto blast gate above the work bench that I use for with the router and random orbit sander. That blast gate is triggered from the tool turning on by using a smart power strip similar to an isocket
    Last edited by Dave Black; 01-25-2015 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Looks like some nice upgrades. So do I understand that the quill stop is for locking the quill to a specific position?
    Yes the quill lock will lock it in a specific position, I find it useful for positioning the fence. Just move the bit down till it almost touches the wood and lock the quill, then position the fence or clamp the piece down.

The last upgrade I did was add a fence, its nothing fancy, just 3"x2" angle iron. I drilled both the 3" and 2" sides for bolts that slide in the T slots. I can have 3 different height fences just by changing the orientation of the fence. I really should change the piece of steel, this one is not quite square, I got out of square when the oxide coating was ground off. If I could get a piece of cold rolled steel or stainless that would be perfect. I was also toying with the idea of an aluminum extrusion with t slots.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1384.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	88750Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1385.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	88751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1386.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	88752

That's a heck of a set of upgrades!! Nice work, wouldn't have thought about the split head mod, nice idea to keep in the brain sack of its ever needed.