bilzzard is coming, people are acting like idiots

allen levine

the rush at the markets and gas stations are totally ridiculous.
The fear mongers have instilled such fear in everyone that one would think the world is coming to an end.
Stores are price gouging everything.

by Thursday or Friday, everything will be open and stocked, so I don't understand why people on sunday and Monday feel the need to buy 6 gallons of milk when they normally by 2 for the week, or 8 loaves of bread, when they normally buy one.
We don't live 90 miles from a store.
Its ridiculous.

Oh but it is being reported to be the worst storm in history Allen! :eek::eek: I would imagine grocery and hardware stores appreciate those types of headlines from time to time. Be safe, enjoy, want to see you this summer!

I went out there early this morning, applied another coat of oil to something, and another coat of stain. Probably take a week to dry, but after moving machines around and sticking the sports car in there, I wont be working in there at least until Thursday or Friday when I can get the car back out.
toughest thing is what the hec to do for a few days locked indoors.

Well, I actually stacked enough firewood inside for 5-6 days. I will not be able to snow blower the walkway to my firewood shed till Saturday.

I still gotta go to work every day and it's too dark when I get home from work.

I figure all the roads and everything will be clear by end of day Thursday

I went out there early this morning, applied another coat of oil to something, and another coat of stain. Probably take a week to dry, but after moving machines around and sticking the sports car in there, I wont be working in there at least until Thursday or Friday when I can get the car back out.
toughest thing is what the hec to do for a few days locked indoors.

Not intending to be a smart alec but why not consider taking up carving? Or at very least whitlling. Get one of those carving jack knives and cut a few blocks of wood keep them handly and when you inhouse bound go at it with a you tube video as you guide.

It does not make a huge mess you can catch the shavings in a apron or dishtowel on your lap and then bundle them up and toss them in the garbage.

here is a link to a Canadian store (keep in mind u got a strong dollar now 20% stronger) that has a set of books and rough outs already to go. Wont help with this storm but hey its not your last time being stuck in doors same as when you have your meds.

Keep warm.

rob, Im a flatworker, a mediocre one at that. I don't sweat the skill factor anymore, nor do I let it depress me.
My joy stems from taking a rough sometimes twisted knarly piece of wood and turning into a useful somewhat decorative decent piece of furniture for my family.
I cant beat that feeling of self pride, satisfaction, seeing the look on my families face when I make them something exactly what they wanted.
I turn pens and bowls when I have some free time.

I figure I need another 20 years experience in both flatwork and turning to get where I want to be, time I don't think Ill have or be too old to function on all 8 cylinders.

No more avenues of woodworking for me, Im content knocking my head against the wall with flatwork and especially woodturning.

btw, when I get my infusions, Im so doped up, I sleep most of the time, putting a sharp blade in my hand to do anything, even to cut a fruit or piece of bread is pretty dangerous.

My eyes are getting good enough I want to spend some time sitting on the beach taking in the sights, and try reading a few books again.
Don't think theres anything wrong with that for a few months a year.Maybe as early as next winter, I might look for a rental near the beach down south.

Last edited:
rob, Im a flatworker, a mediocre one at that. I don't sweat the skill factor anymore, nor do I let it depress me.
My joy stems from taking a rough sometimes twisted knarly piece of wood and turning into a useful somewhat decorative decent piece of furniture for my family.
I cant beat that feeling of self pride, satisfaction, seeing the look on my families face when I make them something exactly what they wanted.
I turn pens and bowls when I have some free time.

I figure I need another 20 years experience in both flatwork and turning to get where I want to be, time I don't think Ill have or be too old to function on all 8 cylinders.

No more avenues of woodworking for me, Im content knocking my head against the wall with flatwork and especially woodturning.

btw, when I get my infusions, Im so doped up, I sleep most of the time, putting a sharp blade in my hand to do anything, even to cut a fruit or piece of bread is pretty dangerous.

My eyes are getting good enough I want to spend some time sitting on the beach taking in the sights, and try reading a few books again.
Don't think theres anything wrong with that for a few months a year.Maybe as early as next winter, I might look for a rental near the beach down south.

Mom and dad were serious, give 'em a call, fly down there and spend a week with them. They are an hour from Daytona Beach.

jon, you know I appreciate the offer.

I have my entire family in florida. All my siblings, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins from both sides of the family.
I have many bedrooms to choose from, as no one has children living at home anymore.

but I don't want to go visit, I want to try out living there. Need to get a place and give it a whirl.

yeah, its beautiful, isn't it?

best thing, the sno blower kicked over on second pull of chord. big relief, its 17 years old. I can happily say they don't make things the way they used too.

Last edited:
<Doing my best Don impression> What is this snow you speak of???

Actually it was 59* here today, kinda crazy for February. :huh: We're not out of the woods yet though. Hope you all stay safe and spend some quality time resting up. :wave:

Same here, although we're only forecast for 3~5". You'd think they were wintering over in Antarctica the way some folks are acting.

Maybe it is the people who used to live in Nevada, Arizona, Texas, So. California??? I know we have a bazillion people in So. Calif. that go bananas over anything---I mean even black socks and sandals---let alone anything political.

Enjoy,
JimB