Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to glue up then split?

how to glue up then split?

i need to have a glue up turned into a spindle then split apart.. how to glue it up and have it hold for turning round then split apart.. any help? i thought paper between might work?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I've heard of using paper grocery sacks in such applications but being that thick of paper I would guess you would have to add accordingly.

Another option is to just glue a couple of inches on the very ends and then cut that section off afterwards. A shallow groove on the inside face helps provide a stop point for glue seep (and a reference for where to cut them). IMHO this is the most pain free method as the paper trick seems to have some issues coming apart (either not or doing so early) for me on occasion. I'm sure someone who has the nack wouldn't have a problem but I'm not that person.

Grocery sack will work as well as newspaper, pretty east to seperate after turning
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Grocery sack will work fine.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

They taught me to use news paper in high school
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I think the winter must be getting to you Larry, I'm getting worried, you've just had too many questions lately about spinny stuff. Perhaps you should head down south and do some fishing and get away from the cold.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I think the winter must be getting to you Larry, I'm getting worried, you've just had too many questions lately about spinny stuff. Perhaps you should head down south and do some fishing and get away from the cold.
    Heck, Darren, they even use spinney stuff in fishing.

I wonder which adhesive they use with the paper. I'm guessing something that has reasonable strength but will come apart when dampened---like white glue.
    I wonder what are the pros and cons of the thin double-sided tape Rockler sells?

What are the turnings going to be used for? If it is like splitting a candlestick into two parts (to mount on a wall) or making a dowel shaped pic frame, the thickness of the separator will not matter.
    If it is something like a lamp column that you want to put a shaft into, it is critical...you want thin or none.

So whatcha doin'?

Enjoy,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

[QUOTE=Jim C Bradley;424925]
    I wonder which adhesive they use with the paper. I'm guessing something that has reasonable strength but will come apart when dampened---like white glue.

Regular wood glue or Elmers white glue.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I've seen some turners use hot glue for this also. In most of the demos, the initial glue up is done with a glue that will split cleanly. This glue usually won't hold as well as a permanent glue so they glue on some waste wood on each end of the spindle and where it's glued, they wrap it with big rubber bands or nylon strapping tape to hold the glued pieces together securely. There are lots of videos on you tube about inside out turning that show glue techniques.

Steve