how to glue up then split?

larry merlau

i need to have a glue up turned into a spindle then split apart.. how to glue it up and have it hold for turning round then split apart.. any help? i thought paper between might work?

Another option is to just glue a couple of inches on the very ends and then cut that section off afterwards. A shallow groove on the inside face helps provide a stop point for glue seep (and a reference for where to cut them). IMHO this is the most pain free method as the paper trick seems to have some issues coming apart (either not or doing so early) for me on occasion. I'm sure someone who has the nack wouldn't have a problem but I'm not that person.

I think the winter must be getting to you Larry, I'm getting worried, you've just had too many questions lately about spinny stuff. Perhaps you should head down south and do some fishing and get away from the cold.

I think the winter must be getting to you Larry, I'm getting worried, you've just had too many questions lately about spinny stuff. Perhaps you should head down south and do some fishing and get away from the cold.

Heck, Darren, they even use spinney stuff in fishing.

I wonder which adhesive they use with the paper. I'm guessing something that has reasonable strength but will come apart when dampened---like white glue.
I wonder what are the pros and cons of the thin double-sided tape Rockler sells?

What are the turnings going to be used for? If it is like splitting a candlestick into two parts (to mount on a wall) or making a dowel shaped pic frame, the thickness of the separator will not matter.
If it is something like a lamp column that you want to put a shaft into, it is critical...you want thin or none.

So whatcha doin'?

Enjoy,
JimB

I've seen some turners use hot glue for this also. In most of the demos, the initial glue up is done with a glue that will split cleanly. This glue usually won't hold as well as a permanent glue so they glue on some waste wood on each end of the spindle and where it's glued, they wrap it with big rubber bands or nylon strapping tape to hold the glued pieces together securely. There are lots of videos on you tube about inside out turning that show glue techniques.

Steve

I'd use hide glue Larry, since you have I presume, a 1/2" to 3/4" hole down the center of the spear handle{<I presume again}, a little heat{I use a hairdryer} and a rod or pipe that fits into the hole should pop 'er apart easily.

Edit: if you can taper {grind} an end of the rod/pipe, would make any size workable....and I was referring to 'tite-bond liquid hide glue' if it matters.

Last edited:
what worked for me was the grocery bag method. i had to replace a bunch of decorative half round parts, and that worked. went through a few blanks as the center diameter was just over 1/4".

A commercial shop I worked in when I became semi-retired used craft paper which, I guess, is similar to grocery bags for applications like that. White glue was the adhesive.

houston we are clear for lift off:) split like a dream:) thanks for being there folks and i did manage to stay away from one of those spinny things to make this router and edge sander are my friends:)
handle splits 001.jpghandle splits 002.jpg