Shop floor

I used the 2-part epoxy floor paint with colored sprinkles in my last shop, and although it looked great, it could get slippery with dry sawdust on it. We used the same stuff on our laundry room floor, and even though we prepped the bare concrete meticulously per the instructions, after 10 years we were starting to see spots where the paint was peeling. In my new (to me) shop, I'm planning to just use the bare concrete floor as-is.

I used a 2 part Sherwin Williams Industrial Marine epoxy coating.

It has been 13 years and no wear through - looks great.

With humidity it looks like I sprayed it with a hose - water condenses on it - badly.

Even with the non-slip sand mixed in it is slippery when wet.

I have learned to live with the slippery and wet.
A/C & dehumidifier keeps it dry in summer - but doors need to be closed.

The wet and slippery is the only downside.

The look and durability is a great big upside

It is not paint! It is also not inexpensive.

If I could have done a heavy duty wood floor - that would be my first choice, but I did not have that option.

I would consider doing the coating again - but with knowing the downside.

Pay attention to the warning about the slickness. Our garage has the epoxy coating (on top of glass smooth concrete) and it's downright dangerous when it's the slightest bit damp. Otherwise, it's pretty nice, looks good...sweeps easily, brightens up the room.

Thanks for the replys. I am not so worried about having a painted look. My concern is with raw concrete you just can't seem to ever get all the dust up. I am leaning toward either a stain so it won't peel or just a clear concrete sealer. Thanks for the warning on being slick. Hadn't really thought about that. I almost went with a wood floor. There are a lot of advantages to it. But I didnt.

My buddy used the commonly available epoxy product, Not slick at all, good grip. Has withstood his motorcycle hobby for years now and still looks great. The stuff is pretty amazing IMHO. For my shop I would go with a wood floor if at all possible since the epoxy coating is great and all but, does nothing to change the characteristics of concrete. You would still need mats for comfort.

DRIcore panels, available at Lowes and Home Depot. Around $6.43 each.

5acb74bd-18c4-4947-9467-271adcb0023f_400.jpg

I like sealed concrete. If it was finished well, it'll sweep up nicely.

My dream shop would be stained and polished, but I don't even want to know what that would cost to make it basically look like terrazzo.

All those slick floors sounds like no vapor barrier under the concrete... our dock high warehouse floor at one of my jobs used to get almost a 1/4 inch of water on the floor when it was humid, damp or wet outside... forklifts with a load would hydroplane if the driver wasn't careful. This was one of those quick stand up warehouses with a 4' dock.... We were an export packing operation with panel saws, table saws, radial arms etc...saw dust everywhere.... lots of pallet racks and storage along some walls... we specialized in packing oil field explosives which couldn't get wet.... moisture was a real problem for us.

Well thank goodness I don't have damp floors. Just don't like standing on concrete. Worked on it for 40 years and it has taken its toll. Plus I hate sweeping unfinished concrete.