Metal lathe search

Going to look at it tomorrow.

At that price, in the condition pictured, it's a steal! It may well be gone by tomorrow.

That's a very sought after lathe, and not often found with all the gears. The chucks along are worth around $400.

I wouldn't even try to talk him down - he's already practically giving it away!

If I were closer to Reading, I'd steal it away from you. It'd already be in my shop!

I picked it up today. It's in great shape with a nice stand. It only came with 1 straight tool holder and the lamp post tool bar is missing the wedge thingamajig. The guy was really nice and showed all the working parts to me.

Well I have the lathe, but can't use it since the tool post is missing the wedge and I only have a straight tool holder and no cutting tools at this point. Should I even bother with the lantern tool post, most of what I see people saying is that they are a pain the a quick change tool post is miles ahead. I have not much idea what i'm doing yet so a later tool post may make that more frustrating? Im not keen on spending more money but something like this may make sense.http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSTAR-AXA-...454?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f31043ece
Thoughts?

For the 'wedge', it's just a half-moon shaped piece of bar stock. A piece of key stock from Home Depot, and half an hour's work with a hacksaw and files will put you back in business.

For a tool post, take a look at the Enco catalog, or their website, although the one you've referenced will do you well, and is priced well, too.

Enco's carbide cutters and inserts are pretty reasonable, both price and quality wise.