Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Studio Build

The Studio Build

To give you an idea of what I'm going to build, here is a rough SketchUp drawing I made.

So basically it will be a room within a room, I'll be putting in a floor and a ceiling as well.
    The view port, as we are calling it, will also most likely get some acoustic glass.

Some pictures inside the space.

As you can see the walls or partitions in this office are glass. The little room that I will be turning into a studio has two panes of glass in it already, kind of a glass room in a glass room, they were told that this would be fairly soundproof, well is certainly is not, but I'm going to solve that problem for them.

I'll take out the carpet squares and reuse them in the new studio, the floor is very cool...

It is a floor on top of the concrete floor, it has lots of these channels to run wire wherever you want it, this will make running the AV and computer related stuff into the room very simple.

Well that is a start, I have a lot of ducks to get in a row here before Monday morning when this all kicks off, wish me luck!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Very interesting space. Have fun!

Hi Stu.

Looks interesting, but what is it? a comission you had or a studio for yourself on an office building? Or is it that I missed something??
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Very cool, would like to know more also. Any idea of the manufacturer of the floor system? I could see our company being interested in something like that.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Boy am I glad I am not you!!!!! That floor though, someone was using their head for more than a hat rack when they thought that up!!!!! Go get 'em Stu!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Should be a very interesting project.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Hi Stu.

Looks interesting, but what is it? a commission you had or a studio for yourself on an office building? Or is it that I missed something??
    Toni I'm building a studio inside the office for a client. This company does market research, often that involves focus groups, so the studio I'm building needs to be sound proof to the level of a spoken voice, not musical instruments etc. They also will have clients in the studio, often from outside of Japan, listening to a real time translation of the focus group, they will also be able to interject questions to the staff who is leading the focus group. They also video the focus groups, usually just for reference, but sometimes they live stream it to other locations.

They have a bunch of work for me after this is done, there is another room that might have to be somewhat sound proofed, as well as the possibility of building the a very large table for the focus groups, and one of the partners of the company has already approached me about building her some built in cabinets for her home. When it rains it pours.

I'll find out the name of the floor system, it is really well built.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The Studio Build

Carpet removed. Some..... Person.... Put sticky goo all over the floor. These carpet squares do NOT NEED GLUE.... What a mess.

First day done, buying plywood tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    William Arthur Ward

The Studio Build

The 1st layer of floor is in and all the electrical, and conduit for the AV guys. Next is the sound proofing sheet then another layer of plywood. Tomorrow I want to start on walls, but I might have to take a snow day. If so I'll start work on the countertop.
    Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 02-04-2015 at 02:32 AM.
    William Arthur Ward

It has got to be weird doing that work in a fishbowl like that.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash