The Studio Build

Stuart Ablett

To give you an idea of what I'm going to build, here is a rough SketchUp drawing I made.

Studio%203a-1.jpg

So basically it will be a room within a room, I'll be putting in a floor and a ceiling as well.
The view port, as we are calling it, will also most likely get some acoustic glass.

Some pictures inside the space.

IMG_8931.JPG

IMG_8932.JPG

IMG_8933.JPG

IMG_8934.JPG

As you can see the walls or partitions in this office are glass. The little room that I will be turning into a studio has two panes of glass in it already, kind of a glass room in a glass room, they were told that this would be fairly soundproof, well is certainly is not, but I'm going to solve that problem for them.

I'll take out the carpet squares and reuse them in the new studio, the floor is very cool...
IMG_8935.JPG

It is a floor on top of the concrete floor, it has lots of these channels to run wire wherever you want it, this will make running the AV and computer related stuff into the room very simple.

Well that is a start, I have a lot of ducks to get in a row here before Monday morning when this all kicks off, wish me luck!

Cheers!

Hi Stu.

Looks interesting, but what is it? a comission you had or a studio for yourself on an office building? Or is it that I missed something??:huh:

Hi Stu.

Looks interesting, but what is it? a commission you had or a studio for yourself on an office building? Or is it that I missed something??:huh:

Toni I'm building a studio inside the office for a client. This company does market research, often that involves focus groups, so the studio I'm building needs to be sound proof to the level of a spoken voice, not musical instruments etc. They also will have clients in the studio, often from outside of Japan, listening to a real time translation of the focus group, they will also be able to interject questions to the staff who is leading the focus group. They also video the focus groups, usually just for reference, but sometimes they live stream it to other locations.

They have a bunch of work for me after this is done, there is another room that might have to be somewhat sound proofed, as well as the possibility of building the a very large table for the focus groups, and one of the partners of the company has already approached me about building her some built in cabinets for her home. When it rains it pours.

I'll find out the name of the floor system, it is really well built.

Cheers!

ac941e1506e893f1dd10b20999ac7ddc.jpg

Carpet removed. Some..... Person.... Put sticky goo all over the floor. These carpet squares do NOT NEED GLUE.... What a mess.
2f8a4cb1e4d596c70254521b2f636a29.jpg

First day done, buying plywood tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 1st layer of floor is in and all the electrical, and conduit for the AV guys. Next is the sound proofing sheet then another layer of plywood. Tomorrow I want to start on walls, but I might have to take a snow day. If so I'll start work on the countertop.
Cheers!

3f4e03cd9899b0ab41166240945e90af.jpg
7c4d73a97a2621e693b56782e15a67ce.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, but it beats working outside in the rain and mud.
The only thing is that the J staff have the heat cranked up to about 28C/84F in here, have to hydrate like crazy!

Cheers

Been busy, trying to get ahead.
Floor with electrical done, front wall done too. All the pieces cut for the other walls, now I need to put it all together.

101a538f9182a786069dbf4975dba9f5.jpg

Thanks guys.
Busting my hump, but getting it done.
86e18b67a3851898dccf12d1475a6c11.jpg

322726f55617504d08dfe208f0783a5a.jpg

Basic framing and electrical is in.

4fed534dcff408032a3a1c228d0fa52e.jpg

Loaded up my poor little Kei van with drywall.

Good progress, Stu. That looks like some pretty decent framing lumber...not a lot of knots. Looks better than what I can get. Is the naked framing structure visible from adjacent rooms?

Good progress, Stu. That looks like some pretty decent framing lumber...not a lot of knots. Looks better than what I can get. Is the naked framing structure visible from adjacent rooms?
Usually the 2x4s we get here are really nice. The other side of the glass walls will have a film attached to them to hide the back of the walls I'm building. One of the adjacent rooms will also get some walls framed in at a later date.

Yes it's a national holiday today, but I'm still banging away. Yesterday I dealt with some unknown unknowns, and today I'm getting to drywall.
f75558ce3da2e00b59ceb02ef804a933.jpg

First layer up on one of the side walls.
Next I get to use the "Green Glue" for the first time.
Cheers