The Studio Build

Yep I'm using green glue, the sound insulation stuff is really really expensive here, and you can't just buy it at a home center. I checked and it was 2 to 3 weeks for delivery, so this put it my of my reach for the client's imposed deadline.

Cheers!

It says on the tube of Green Glue "Apply in a Uniform and Random Pattern".....

green_glue2.jpeg

green_glue1.jpeg

green_glue3.jpeg

One side wall and one back wall done, getting there.

Already the room is much less bouncy sound wise than before.

Cheers!

Thanks guys. Had not seen this product before. Seems a natural for a shop with close by neighbors, but must make it hard to hang stuff on the walls.

Not really, you just use longer screws :D

To make your shop walls really easy to hang stuff on, put a layer of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood on the walls, then the two layers of drywall, then you can put a screw in just about anywhere.

Sorry I've not updated this thread, working on the build, a lot, and working as the general contractor, organizing the subs, and working the L shop too leaves me little time at all.
891575029f6fe4afa6224a5b0f575495.jpg

Building the large riser in the Dungeon.

f21b42cb170c142aabe5efffb51cd434.jpg

The large riser installed.

2a7b605b9246f4129283d4e9765183f0.jpg

The small two tier riser installed.
I have to build the two pull out storage drawer yet.

I've got most of the wiring done, still some more to do, but almost done. I need to put the fresh air fan in too.

The job is going well, the people are good to work with and they seem to appreciate my work.

The wallpaper gets done tomorrow, then on Sunday I have to install the counter by the window. Some paint and other bits and bobs but it is getting done.
They have already contracted me to do a few other jobs, so I will remain busy, but NOT at this frantic pace.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in the days when I was working with sound I would have given a "bucket full" for some of that Green Glue.

The world of sound construction was suffering because of lack of good sound controlling materials and techniques. There were some decent materials---as long as no one could touch them. I mean it is kind of tacky to be able to poke your finger through a wall coating. In other words you could use it on ceilings or walls in a recording studio as long as everybody knew they couldn't touch the walls without incurring the wrath of the people in charge.

One of the techniques used in radio stations (This is way before TV---in fact, even before FM) was to build the studio with no walls parallel to the wall across the room. The vertical line of the walls was not the same any two places (the top of walls was like uneven sine curves. The bottom of the walls had the same type of construction however the curves did not match. The floor and ceiling had the same characteristics.

OK Bradley, it is time to shut up.

Enjoy,
JimB

Don't shut up Mr. Bradley, that is very interesting.

8535ef982d406ccb5e97c22450ba7748.jpg

The wallpaper guys are here, things will be getting rather black soon! :D

Last edited:
OK the wallpaper is done, the clients are very happy, and so am I!

IMG_9048.JPG

IMG_9049.JPG

IMG_9050.JPG

Yep, it it black!

Now I'm frantically building the counter for the front below the window and the window sill as well, they will be installed on Sunday, as the Audio/Visual guys will be coming to do their thing to the room on Monday.

Not this Saturday but next Saturday they have their first client booked into the room, exciting!

Cheers!

I had to pull an all nighter to get the counter top done so I could install it today.

68160e01c69f79f9389192bcd7b59296.jpg

First one in place.

91d10d19084ae69ae265a2090ce26d5f.jpg

A basic overview.

Tomorrow, Monday the Audio/Video guys come to install their gear, I expect that to go well.

To finish up in time to use the room next Saturday I have to;
Finish painting window sills
Install said sills
Finish the counter backsplash
Install backsplash
Install outlets in backsplash.
Finish install electrical, plugs, switches etc.
plumb and wire in the fresh air fan
Plumb the fresh air return.
Reinstall the carpet.

It's going to be tight, but I'll make it. :)

Getting really close.

517688e90c9aa355d30e08ea632ff968.jpg

e9e2f320846364801647625dfa6e29b5.jpg

16b55fe4100a3df9c312fcaac2c076c1.jpg

b2ce3a57c38a27e06ea7eae1cb259354.jpg

Just a bit more carpet to lay and then the baseboard. Tomorrow, Friday I'll get that done, and they will use the room on Saturday & Sunday.

Next week I'll finish off a few things, I still have to build the two storage drawers, under the small riser, and the black outlets and switches are back ordered, I used white for now. They want a single wall build in the next room, but that is a MUCH smaller undertaking.

Almost done.

Cheers!