The Studio Build

Ok it is done enough that they are using the setup on Saturday and Sunday.

718d137ccdc0c5ec98046e509f1fe0a2.jpg

25d519369dca1179d174ea1b32d74b0a.jpg

Sorry not the best pics. It's had to take pics when everything is black.

56d63f84597dfd5913e5a7b32e42da10.jpg

A view from the interview room looking at the mirrored wall that the studio is behind.

I have a fairly short punch list, I still have to build and install the two drawers that go under the one riser. I also have to swap out the white electrical outlets for the black ones when they arrive. Some black edge nosing for the risers, and fully install the window sill, it is only in place right now, but I have to shim it and make it level and square for the acoustic glass that will be installed.

Next week, maybe Wednesday I'll start on another wall in the room next door. Only a wall with a viewing port, no electrical, fan, lights, or fresh air vents, just a wall. Should only take a few days.

Cheers!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry not the best pics. It's had to take pics when everything is black.

There's a ghost in the window of this picture!!!

That came out really great Stu. What a diverse and interesting project for you. A lot of work but, a skill and experience-builder. Congrats!

Yes it has been good, a lot of VERY long days, but they are profitable. My lovely wife now really understands that I can make a good living at this stuff here in Tokyo, as I'm in demand, and that the L shop as a job is a joke for me. I'll put it this way, in the months of February and March I'll make more money working this stuff than I make in a year working at the liquor shop.

Yes, really.

Instead of struggling to pay the bills, borrowing money to at for the kids schooling, why not just work at this side more? I'm in the position of having to say no to work right now. I know that it comes in ebbs and flows, but why not ride the wave when it appears?

Ok rant over :D

Phase II

ab682e75cbf968127cd939b7dee65499.jpg

This is the room beside the studio I just built. The studio is behind the red wall.
I'll only be building one wall here, with a viewport in it. This is kind of an overflow viewing room. The other two walls will have blackout curtains that will be closed when the room is in use.

11ee49b3fcd1b296564b2244322221da.jpg

ace9ec16bff44ce7e7a45ec784cfed8c.jpg

Moved in to my small workspace.

The plan....

65047854c3fedcbceb252e6df0db5462.jpg

I should have this banged out quickly.

Cheers.

7a9dc0a4547fad444ebe9f9f839350d3.jpg

e6fb3a5ac5da91716e5044e1c84f915c.jpg

The wall is framed out

acfddb3db55cd0daa9a5482663668ca0.jpg

The 9mm plywood is applied (think torsion box)

2e34cdaba33c0346951ee0f93d49d22b.jpg

1st layer of 12.5mm drywall done, and it's time for a coffee break :D

Last edited:
32c1258573ddc74cb279b5ffd5c760d4.jpg

Done

2b7d4effd585fc061cc86b33143df5ae.jpg

Done, cleaned up, most of my tools packed to take home, and even the carpet cut and replaced.

This time I painted the 2x4s and the back of the plywood, on the Studio Room I did not do that, because the plan was to have the two way mirror only over the view port, the rest of the wall would be opaque film on the glass. Things changed, and we went floor to ceiling mirror,.

562926891e13261dcaa56b7750dea659.jpg

If you look closely, on the left
You can see the ghost of the white 2x4s, but on the right they got painted black and they just vanish.

Now I have some small things to do, as well as the window sill for the second room, then I can paint this one done and get paid.

Cheers!

Thanks fellas.

Getting very close to being done.

a54c0677b1c28cbe9bc04d97eeb542cf.jpg

The window sill done on the second room wall.
Next up I have to put in some curtain rails, and then some small stuff and I'll be done.
There is more work to do, but after the Cirque du Soleil contracts.

Cheers

between the circus contracts and now your licensed construction projects. your liquor store is going to be a small piece of your pie stu..there is only so much time in a day even if your day starts before ours does over on this side of the world:) looks good and that plastic subfloor earlier was a clever way to get cables anywhere..

Well I've still got a couple of small things to do in the Studio, they are using the heck out of it, with their own clients and they are renting it too. We put in the acoustic glass and that really helped with soundproofing. The client is very pleased with the whole job.

A few minor things to do yet, one was the stair edging, I had a really hard time finding something that would fit the bill, when I did the company said one week to get it, it took nearly six weeks.... :doh:but I got it and installed it today.

IMG_9379.JPG

I think it really puts a finishing touch on the room. The white bits glow in the dark.

Again, the client was all smiles.

Cheers!