Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: information overload "drawer slides"

information overload "drawer slides"

Hello everyone first post here. I have been making things with wood for a while now and decided to join this site.
    I have a question about drawer slides though. I am in the process of making the wife a stand alone kitchen pantry with pull out shelves/drawers inside.
    There seams to be a whole lot of different ones out there from rather cheap prices to oh my heaven that's high prices.
    Anyone have some ideas on what one to stay away from and what ones I need to take a better look at???????
    Thanks in advance to all

Gary

i used KV brand and you can get them in full length opening and 100lb is a good weight, unless you have alot of canned goods but they hold alot at that rating ,, blum makes some real good ones as well accuride is another good brand..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

KV (Knape & Vogt) is a good brand. I buy mine from Woodworkers Hardware. They have good pricing and great customer service.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Gary, Welcome to the family. Glad you found us. +1 on KV brand and Woodworkers Hardware.

Whatever you do---Use FULL extension glides.

I have a "Man's" 12 drawer chest. The drawers open about 4/5 of the way. I cuss the darn thing every time I use it. The only reason it is still around is that it is so handy otherwise, looks good and my wife was from the House of Glendowen (with all of the Scottish money implications that are used in humor). When we rebuilt the kitchen I insisted on full extension drawers and pull-outs. Myrna did not like the idea ($$$$) until she lived with them for a few days when said she loved them.

My shop cabinets all have full extension drawers, except for one; the first one. I didn't think it would matter if the shop cabinet drawers didn't extend fully; man was I wrong on that!!! Believe me the rest of the drawers extend fully.

That is my 2 cents worth.

Enjoy your new shop and cabinets.
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

This makes me wonder when you use pantry slides (verses normal) and if there is a preference or not for soft close slides?

Thanks (don't mean to hijack, but OP may wonder as well, so no new thread).

Woodworker's hardware has already been mentioned, and I really like the KV sides. They also come in several version (over travel or not, weight ratings, soft close, etc.) best to check their website...if you order from them you'll get their catalog which s a really useful reference. As for using soft close, I like them in cabinet applications but probably not for a pantry. My maybe faulty reasoning for this is that cabinet drawers sometimes get slammed (like early morning kids in the bathroom) but that's less likely in a pantry (or not, it's a personal decision, I guess). BTW, Woodworker's Hardware has their winter sale going on until the end of the month, some pretty good prices on slides.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    This makes me wonder when you use pantry slides (verses normal) and if there is a preference or not for soft close slides?

Thanks (don't mean to hijack, but OP may wonder as well, so no new thread).
    That is a great question Randal. What is the difference in the two?

Another happy KV user here. The 100lb 'full extension' and 'over extension' slides have been serving me well for years. I use them in pullouts in my own kitchen and in those of others with confidence. If you want to not see the slides, then you get into the more pricey undermount formats. You would want to clarify this to get better responses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glenn's-Pullouts.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	88915Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jan's Pullouts 008.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	88917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jan's Pullouts 005.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	88925
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-01-2015 at 02:54 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I have a web page on different types of metal slides, issues with wood drawer slides, drawer construction, etc. etc.
    See www.solowoodworker.com/wood/drawers.html

I find the lumber yards often have slides at a better price than mail order.
    Trivia - Blum is hinges, Accuride is the same company in drawer slides. KV is the other "name brand"

And if you are designing a kitchen, there is finally a solution for the blind corner, that makes use of close to 100% of the space (where a lazy susan only handles approximately 3/4 of the space) - See the Hafele Magic Corner II System at
    http://www.hafele.com/us/products/ma...age-hafele.asp
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com