So a few weeks back I was sitting in the living room playing with the grandson, all of a sudden our 10 year old plasma tv just went black and power button started flashing as if it was having some kind of an error. I got a flash light and a few tools and pulled the back cover, but didn't see anything obvious, like a swelled capacitor. Did a little googling and found some posts about some of the common issues, but none with easy fixes, all required pulling the back cover and doing extensive voltage testing to narrow the issue. Well, it being Sunday afternoon and all my wife's weekly favorite shows are on that night, she made the comment that the local store was open until 6pm...go get a new one!
So, new TV was bought, my brother stopped by for a few minutes and helped me get the old one down, new one up, and old one carried to the shop until I could decide what to do with it.
Earlier this week, I decided to follow some of the posts and start pulling cables and testing power at each connection to narrow down which board was having the issue. When I say board, I mean it, there are about 10 of them in one if these suckers...
After testing the obvious, fuses and input power, I started pulling cables to test voltages to each board. After pulling the third cable, plugging in power and waiting for it to power up, I realized that the power button had gone blue (normal). I looked at the screen and sure enough, half the screen was lit up. I traced where that wire went and got the board number, and off to do a little more googling. Found two of the boards commonly go bad, one is about $250 (if you can find one), rebuild on it was about $120 via an ebay service. Luckily it was the other board and I found a new one for $35.
The new board arrived today, I came up and carefully removed all the connections, the 6 screws, repeated in reverse order, and wahlah....I have a new shop tv.
Of course I only have a chromecast device on it, so been watching some of my favorite youtube channels.