Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't you hate when that happens...

Don't you hate when that happens...

So a few weeks back I was sitting in the living room playing with the grandson, all of a sudden our 10 year old plasma tv just went black and power button started flashing as if it was having some kind of an error. I got a flash light and a few tools and pulled the back cover, but didn't see anything obvious, like a swelled capacitor. Did a little googling and found some posts about some of the common issues, but none with easy fixes, all required pulling the back cover and doing extensive voltage testing to narrow the issue. Well, it being Sunday afternoon and all my wife's weekly favorite shows are on that night, she made the comment that the local store was open until 6pm...go get a new one!

So, new TV was bought, my brother stopped by for a few minutes and helped me get the old one down, new one up, and old one carried to the shop until I could decide what to do with it.

Earlier this week, I decided to follow some of the posts and start pulling cables and testing power at each connection to narrow down which board was having the issue. When I say board, I mean it, there are about 10 of them in one if these suckers...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-31 15.21.05.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	88909

After testing the obvious, fuses and input power, I started pulling cables to test voltages to each board. After pulling the third cable, plugging in power and waiting for it to power up, I realized that the power button had gone blue (normal). I looked at the screen and sure enough, half the screen was lit up. I traced where that wire went and got the board number, and off to do a little more googling. Found two of the boards commonly go bad, one is about $250 (if you can find one), rebuild on it was about $120 via an ebay service. Luckily it was the other board and I found a new one for $35.

Name:	2015-01-31 15.21.20.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	88910 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-31 15.21.59.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	88911

The new board arrived today, I came up and carefully removed all the connections, the 6 screws, repeated in reverse order, and wahlah....I have a new shop tv.

Name:	2015-01-31 15.48.09.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	88912

Of course I only have a chromecast device on it, so been watching some of my favorite youtube channels.

Name:	2015-01-31 16.04.31.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	88913
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

So, now you can moonlight as a TV repairman, huh?!?!?!?
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

So what kind of voltage is stored within that tv that could have zapped you if you had touched the wrong thing at the right time??
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    So what kind of voltage is stored within that tv that could have zapped you if you had touched the wrong thing at the right time??
    Yeah, there were a few areas I stayed away from, but was careful and laid a sheet of silicon over where I was leaning over it. Grounded the frame and areas I was going to be touching too.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

We done on the repair. I love doing something like this its like a victory for the man in the street. Nice move on getting a shop tv. Not that i personally am in favor of a tv in the shop.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

that tv show looks interesting darren i think i know that guy,he is one funny fellar and smart too well done on the fix ours is giving us warnings.. the new stuff today isnt lasting long at all
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks Larry, considering we spent about $3,500 on that tv, I'm glad to make it last a little longer. Then new one however is about a 1/3 Rd the weight, uses about 1/10th the power, for 1/7 th the price.
    Darren

Nicely done Darren!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    They ain't like the old tube TV's in that regard at least The downside is you used to be able to tap the residual high voltage off of the screen for high voltage experiments. Kids these days won't be able to do that (not that we had a TV when I was a kid, but it didn't stop me from acting like one later).

I love it when some smart person makes something they paid a lot of money for last a few years longer. Good on you, Darren!

Nice save!

I nearly had a meltdown yesterday while plugging the upstairs TV in after the floor guys were finished. It just wouldn't turn on, although I knew there was power to the socket. Suddenly a dim memory from the recent past came back, fuzzily and I took the plug out of the power bar and plugged it directly into the wall socket, and it worked! I didn't know how i was going to explain to LOML that her TV had kacked after the floor guys had moved it.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln