Don't you hate when that happens...

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
So a few weeks back I was sitting in the living room playing with the grandson, all of a sudden our 10 year old plasma tv just went black and power button started flashing as if it was having some kind of an error. I got a flash light and a few tools and pulled the back cover, but didn't see anything obvious, like a swelled capacitor. Did a little googling and found some posts about some of the common issues, but none with easy fixes, all required pulling the back cover and doing extensive voltage testing to narrow the issue. Well, it being Sunday afternoon and all my wife's weekly favorite shows are on that night, she made the comment that the local store was open until 6pm...go get a new one! :eek:

So, new TV was bought, my brother stopped by for a few minutes and helped me get the old one down, new one up, and old one carried to the shop until I could decide what to do with it.

Earlier this week, I decided to follow some of the posts and start pulling cables and testing power at each connection to narrow down which board was having the issue. When I say board, I mean it, there are about 10 of them in one if these suckers...
2015-01-31 15.21.05.jpg

After testing the obvious, fuses and input power, I started pulling cables to test voltages to each board. After pulling the third cable, plugging in power and waiting for it to power up, I realized that the power button had gone blue (normal). I looked at the screen and sure enough, half the screen was lit up. I traced where that wire went and got the board number, and off to do a little more googling. Found two of the boards commonly go bad, one is about $250 (if you can find one), rebuild on it was about $120 via an ebay service. Luckily it was the other board and I found a new one for $35.
2015-01-31 15.21.20.jpg 2015-01-31 15.21.59.jpg

The new board arrived today, I came up and carefully removed all the connections, the 6 screws, repeated in reverse order, and wahlah....I have a new shop tv. ;)
2015-01-31 15.48.09.jpg

Of course I only have a chromecast device on it, so been watching some of my favorite youtube channels. ;)
2015-01-31 16.04.31.jpg

We done on the repair. I love doing something like this its like a victory for the man in the street. Nice move on getting a shop tv. Not that i personally am in favor of a tv in the shop. ;)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

that tv show looks interesting darren i think i know that guy,he is one funny fellar and smart too:) well done on the fix ours is giving us warnings.. the new stuff today isnt lasting long at all

Thanks Larry, considering we spent about $3,500 on that tv, I'm glad to make it last a little longer. Then new one however is about a 1/3 Rd the weight, uses about 1/10th the power, for 1/7 th the price.

Nicely done Darren! :thumb:

So what kind of voltage is stored within that tv that could have zapped you if you had touched the wrong thing at the right time??

They ain't like the old tube TV's in that regard at least :eek: :eek: The downside is you used to be able to tap the residual high voltage off of the screen for high voltage experiments. Kids these days won't be able to do that (not that we had a TV when I was a kid, but it didn't stop me from acting like one later).

:thumb::thumb: Nice save!

I nearly had a meltdown yesterday while plugging the upstairs TV in after the floor guys were finished. It just wouldn't turn on, although I knew there was power to the socket. Suddenly a dim memory from the recent past came back, fuzzily and I took the plug out of the power bar and plugged it directly into the wall socket, and it worked! I didn't know how i was going to explain to LOML that her TV had kacked after the floor guys had moved it.

Great save Darren and congrats on the new shop TV :D

Funny the job I'm doing now, the studio build, when they demolished the old studio there was a 37" Sharp Aquos TV vintage 2006 with the stand etc that was slated to be tossed, I grabbed it, saved them some money on tossing it, (usually the recycle shops charge you to take stuff away here in Tokyo) and got a new larger TV. Recently I got a Sharp Aquos 32" vintage 2007 TV on the cheap with some high end Dell monitors. Now I have the 24" monitor in the Dungeon on my computer, and it is NICE, but I might also hook up the 32" TV and have two screens, one for stuff like CAD and the other for entertainment. The computer does have an HDMI port and so does the 32" TV. That is down the road a bit as I'm sort of busy ;)