Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer Relief Carving Seminar

Mount Airy, Maryland, East Coast of the USA

Mule Deer Relief Carving Seminar

It's February and many of us are stuck inside because of the weather ... bored ... driving the family crazy ... being driven crazy by our family ... and looking for something new, fun, and exciting to do with the extra time on our hands.

So, let's all get together and have some fun relief carving a Mule Deer Buck! You are invited to pull up your computer chair to my teaching table as we work through the steps of this beginner's project.

We will explore:
    1. Carving blank preparation and pattern placement.
    2. How to determine the layers of your pattern for easy rough-out carving.
    3. How to use texture to add impact to your work.
    4. The basics to rounding over shapes and elements.
    5. Using wood burning - pyrography - for your fine detailing and joint clean-up.
    6. Dry brushing your carving with acrylic craft paints.

This free seminar is meant to be an interactive thread! As we work through these steps if you have an idea, suggestion, or photo that might help with that step, please post it. If you have questions on anything we are doing, please post it. If you are working through the steps with me, please post your photos. No matter how new or how experienced an advanced carver you are, everyone has something to share. The more we all share, the more we all learn.

This carving was done for WalnutHollow.com and is posted here with their written permission. If you get a chance please drop them a "Thank You" e-mail note!

So, here are your supply lists. I will start posting the steps on Wednesday, Feb.4th!

Carving Supply List

10 x 14 basswood Walnut Hollow plaques
    graphite paper
    bench knife or large chip carving knife
    carving tools set
    v-gouge
    large round gouge
    small round gouge
    straight chisel
    pencil
    transparent tape
    220-grit sandpaper
    foam-core finger nail files
    ruler
    dusting brush, lint-free dusting cloth
    scissors
    sharpening stones
    leather strop and rouge

Wood Burning Supply List

wood burning unit - either one tmeperature or variable
    fine point, shading, spear tip burning pens
    leather strop and rouge
    stiff ox hair brush or old, clean toothbrush

Painting Supply List

assorted flat soft bristle brushes
    detail or liner brush
    water and water pans
    palette paper
    paper towels
    acrylic craft paints
    raw umber
    titanium white
    smoke blue blue gray
    indian mustard yellow
    raw sienna
    burnt sienna
    carbon black
    polyurethane or acrylic spray sealer

Lora
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Irish_Deer_Carving-006.jpg   Irish_Deer_Carving-005.jpg   Irish_Deer_Carving-004.jpg   Irish_Deer_Carving-003.jpg   Irish_Deer_Carving-002.jpg  

Irish_Deer_Carving-001.jpg   Irish_Deer_Carving-000.jpg  
    Please visit me at LSIrish.com and ArtDesignsStudio.com

I would like to start our project with an open discussion on safety! So, anyone with any ideas, suggestions, or tell-all experiences, please post them.

Safety Precautions

Because working with carving wood, carving tools, knives, and other materials inherently includes the risk of injury and damage, this project cannot guarantee that creating this project is safe for everyone and is distributed without warranties or guarantees of any kind. The publisher and author disclaim any liability for any injury. (Standard Disclaimer!)

Keep your tools and knife sharp. Dull tools will grab or dig into the wood causing you to apply extra pressure to complete the cutting stroke. That pressure can make the tool unexpectedly slip out of the wood.

Secure your wood blank or plaque to your working table with a bench hook or wood clamps. If the wood slides while you are making a cut the tool can slip out of the cutting stroke.

If you are working from your lap using a leather apron or folded thick towel both to secure your wood as well as protect yourself.

Use a two handed grip on your tool wherever possible. Your dominate hand holds the tool to the wood while your non-dominate hand guides the cut.

Place the tools that you are not currently using in plain sight. It is easy to cut your hand or finger rooting through a tool kit.

Getting cut by a tool tip or knife tip is part of this craft. Flush any cut immediately with cool water, dry, and then apply pressure to stop the bleeding. Small cuts, of course, can be closed with a simple bandage. If the cut is large or does not stop bleeding in a reasonable time please seek professional assistance.

My Experience -

When I first when out on the net ... way back when ... I read a thread title from a known carver that said, "Never wood carve in your bare feet!" Now, that made me stop, wonder, and read her full post. Several years later her lesson came home to roost. Well, not exactly roost, more like 'made its point'.

As I was standing at my carving table, my hand hit one of my chip knives. It flew off the table, spun a couple of times in the air, and managed to land point first into the floor boards. As I looked down there was the knife, imbedded a 1/4" into the wood floor just an inch away from ... yep! ... my bare feet. I was lucky to learn this lesson first hand without spilling blood.

Lora

EDIT - Back in a bit with your patterns!

Lora, do you mind putting your location on your post? I don't know if it is possible due to not knowing your location, but have you read about the Family Gathering in July? You are invited you know. Be interested in doing a small carving demo/class at this gathering?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Hi Jonathan! I'm in central Maryland, old farming country about one hour west of Baltimore and northwest of Washington. My little farmlet dates back to a land grant of one hundred acres around 1720.

In fact ... I sit on top of the oldest mountain ridge in North America, named Pars Ridge. Today it has worn down to only about 1000 feet above sea level, but at one time it was as tall as the Rockies. Pars Ridge formed around the Late Silurian period (420 million years ago). Go here to have a fun look at how America was formed geologically.

Lora

Quote Originally Posted by Lora Irish View Post
    Hi Jonathan! I'm in central Maryland, old farming country about one hour west of Baltimore and northwest of Washington.
    Lora
    Lora,
    If you click on the "User CP" tab near the top of the screen, you can edit your info to include a location. You can be as general or specific as you want for listing it (or not).
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Thanks Jim! Just made the changes and added the info stuff

Lora

Lora ordered my blank should be here Firday were can I get the Pattern at ???
    https://www.facebook.com/BgCouger

If you are going to make something nice, make it with a statement, use quality an do it right the first time

Thanks a lot Lora!.

This exercise is what I needed, knowing how to depict feathers and fur is one of my lacks.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Hi Toni! Hi Roy!

Today I am posting the patterns for this project. Since these are digital, you can resize them to fit your particular carving board.
    Tomorrow I will be talking about how to determine the levels and layers in a wood carving pattern. See you then!

Lora
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Irish_MuleDeer_Pattern_002.jpg   Irish_MuleDeer_Pattern_001.jpg  
    Last edited by Lora Irish; 02-04-2015 at 01:55 PM.

I'm going to prepare the blank this weekend and transfer the drawing. I haven't made my mind yet about which one to choose.
    Thanks again Lora!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...