Mule Deer Relief Carving Seminar

Got my piece of wood finally and downloaded the image. Going to be getting to work on my version of this. Thank you Lora for all the work you put into posting this and the detail you have gone to. I started coloring prints of the picture myself to get to grips with the process. Looking forward to this one.

Have my tools sharp so raring to go. Now all i need is time.

Well I think its time to add some hair an add some effects to this carving so I got my equipment out an doubled checked everything an went an got some of my reference material for a quick read before I start, also set up a piece of scrap to test my setting on

7-1.jpg

Here is some of my equipment I think I might need a few more tips

7-2.jpg

Here is the setup with piece of scrap ready to go

7-3.jpg

Here is some of my reference material , an can you imagain who one of the books are by (Lora Irish )

DSC02738.jpg

Nope. You aint. I have my piece of wood and have marked it out and been through the tutorial and starting to carve. Not planning on burning though.
I think Toni is also either doing it or got his wood.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Nope. You aint. I have my piece of wood and have marked it out and been through the tutorial and starting to carve. Not planning on burning though.
I think Toni is also either doing it or got his wood.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I'm on the process of setting up the different levels, although it is taking me more time than I expected. I must admit that I am a bit dissapointed as the fur and feather texture is obtained with a pyrograph, (wich I haven't) and painted later on, while what I was looking for is obtaining it using gouges.

I'm on the process of setting up the different levels, although it is taking me more time than I expected. I must admit that I am a bit dissapointed as the fur and feather texture is obtained with a pyrograph, (wich I haven't) and painted later on, while what I was looking for is obtaining it using gouges.

Toni, of course using your v-gouge for the texturing will work, and work extremely well if you have a nice;y sharpened tool. This tutorial was created as an introduction to carving with the idea to insecure that the beginner had success. Using a wood burner for extra fine details as the fur is much easier and quicker for someone who is just using their wood carving tools for the very first time.

The great thing about online tutorials is that you can take what you want, throw the rest away, and go be as creative as you can. :)