New shop this year. Maybe....

Karl Brogger

I'm in the early stages of planning out a new shop. Right now I'm looking at putting up a 7200 sq/ft building with a 16' sidewall. Dimensions would be 60' x 120', with the office outside of the main building. The plan is to put a partition wall on one end, leaving a 28x60 area for staging, and parking the truck and trailer indoors. Here's a couple of the layouts I've come up with. Some of the equipment on there, I don't have, I'm just planning for the future. I think there's seven shapers on there, I've got three currently. :thumb:

1. Too many aisles. And the benches where cabinet assembly take place are a mile from the door to the staging area. Everything is kinda going in every direction as well.
attachment.php

2. Pretty much the same complaints about #1 here. Box assembly is closer though. Navigating that mess of equipment with a cart full of parts would a pain as well.
attachment.php

3. This is the one I'm liking at the moment. The aisle that the forklift would have to use for getting material into the rack is also the feed spot for two tablesaws, and the widebelt. I don't like how far the pallet racking is from the Striebig, but that's about the worst of it here I think. Worst case if I'm going to be hammering through a lot of one kind of sheet, I'd just pick up the whole bunk from the rack and move it right to the saw.
attachment.php

IMG_20150128_155643743.jpgIMG_20150131_093228597.jpgIMG_20150131_153313933.jpg

I sub all my finishing out. So no need for anything in that department. My finisher actually just got booted out of the space at the beginning of the year that he had been renting for the past 15 years. He's in a new space that he's leasing from a guy who did auto body, so there was a large booth all ready to go which worked well for him. I've kicked around adding a wing so he could be on the property. That'd make a lot of things easier on my end. Not sure I could swing the payment if something went wrong and he wasn't leasing the space any longer though. Tough call for me when there's risk involved.

Flow of everything is tough. It's actually harder I think when the options are wide open. When I moved into the shop I'm in now a little over four years ago, I was limited. I had this much space, and this much tooling. I left room for a few things that I knew were going to be added, but everything I've got is pretty much in the same exact spot it was when I moved in.

This is the easiest way to do it if you ask me. Cut something out the size of the space to whatever scale. In this case, 1/2"=1', then just make scale cut outs of everything and just jockey them around as needed.

Not sure I could swing the payment if something went wrong and he wasn't leasing the space any longer though. Tough call for me when there's risk involved.

Maybe an unfinished finishing room until you're basically using ~100%~ of his finishing time then you can finish it out? Not sure how much that would add to the base cost but you could always use it for storage in the meantime.. more storage is nice.

Finshed with that.. finito!

Flow of everything is tough. It's actually harder I think when the options are wide open. When I moved into the shop I'm in now a little over four years ago, I was limited. I had this much space, and this much tooling. I left room for a few things that I knew were going to be added, but everything I've got is pretty much in the same exact spot it was when I moved in.

This is the easiest way to do it if you ask me. Cut something out the size of the space to whatever scale. In this case, 1/2"=1', then just make scale cut outs of everything and just jockey them around as needed.[/QUOTE]