Build thread: 28 ft. gaff rigged sloop

Roger Tulk

Now, that got your attention! Actually as I mentioned in the fall, I decided to take on a wooden ship model as a winter project. This is a beginner's model of a type of fishing boat that was used on the East Coast. It is fairly simple, being made of 1/16 plywood for the most part. Looking at the design though, I think you could probably build the real thing, with a few more bulkheads and proper accommodations. Don't think I'll try though. At the rate I work, I'd be dead before the project was finished.

Flattie 01.jpg Flattie 02.jpg

Keel and frame assembly on the left, with deck attached on the right.

More to come as I progress. I started this a couple of weeks ago, but made a minor mistake which I had difficulty fixing, then got pissed off with myself, and walked away from it for a while. I got back to it, fixed the problem quickly and it is progressing apace. If this goes well, I may have time for another before spring.

I am an East Coast guy.

Lived 3 blocks away from the water.

Worked as a marine mechanic for a number of years

Grew up in the Historic Whaling City - New Bedford.

Spend a lot of time on the waterfront and Cape Cod

You could say - I like boats

I am VERY interested in watching this.

I have even carved a half hull model - NOT CNC - no power tools - all by hand.

Fun! Keep posting!
I love wooden boats and boatbuilding. I'd really like to build a small sailing dinghy. "As soon as you build a houseful of furniture and restore all the old buildings", says my wife :)

That darned dog!

I was watching The Blacklist last night, when I noticed that Pepper was chewing on something over by the stairs. I went over to check, and found that she was chewing on one of the die cut plywood sheets that hold many of the parts for my boat. Later in the evening, my wife discovered another at the top of the stairs. I said a few bad words, and shooed the dog out of my sight. Assessing the damage, there are perhaps two small parts left intact. I checked with the place I bought the model kit from. It is now out of stock. Even if it was in stock, I'd have to pay $40 US to get it mailed to Canada (It cost 16.95) So, I would have to mail it to my daughter in Chicago, for $9, and wait for her to bring it. I can buy what I am sure is the same model from a suppllier in Canada, but their price is $74,95 Canadian (The have to pay duty and shipping too, I guess.) I could have a different model shipped to my daughter, but I'd still have to wait, probably until spring, before she came up here with it.

So ends my boat building project for the year. When I put the dog to bed, I called her "Sweetie" and gave her two treats instead of one. I can't blame her for being a dog, and I know she's bored because I'm not taking her out in this -20º weather we are having.