Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Doctor 750x

Drill Doctor 750x

A heads up I saw on another site. If you are interested in a Drill Doctor, go to http://www.drilldoctor.com/ and they have a special on the 750x model, normally $135+/-. It will sharpen up to 3/4" bits. Entering coupon code 750Xspecial at checkout will discount it $70, bringing the price to $69+/- plus shipping. They had a similar discount a year or so ago. Don't know if this is a good deal or not, but worth a look.

That's a steal ... and i wouldn't be without mine. Love the thing!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Got one a couple of years ago at a discount. Like Jason, I wouldn't be without it now!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

$129 at Home Depot and amazon, so looks to be a good deal. I got mine as a close-out for $50, would gladly buy another at full price, well worth it.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Is it really worth sharpening the drill bits of today? I must be missing something. Maybe i am being cheap and buying the wrong bits.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Thanks Ted!

I've been considering getting one of these ever since my machinest buddy bought one during a late night TV fueled buying spree. He was unhappy he'd bought it the next day.. until he got it and then he was surprised at how well it actually worked. This was a fellow who was perfectly capable of free hand sharpening stuff, but he said the DD was slightly more accurate and way faster if you were doing very many.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Is it really worth sharpening the drill bits of today? I must be missing something. Maybe i am being cheap and buying the wrong bits.
    Yep
    Yep
    Yep
    Depends a lot on what you do and what kind of bits you buy. I have some indexes of crappy chinese ones, but I've been slowly replacing them with onsies of better quality as I go. I've resharpened by hand some of them, but am not all that good at it (better than dull, not nearly as good as if could be). A lot of the bits aren't worth buying much less sharpening later so there's that as well..

So, Let's say a 1/2" drill bit costs $5. Not a harbor freight one, but something decent, because you are going to be drilling steel. But you're not going to be using a nice drill press, you're going to use it on your back, on the driveway, under your truck to drill 30 holes to attach mounting brackets for a camper hold down system and super heavy duty hitch system.

Let's say you can drill 1.5 holes per drill bit, because of the awkard angles, difficulty in keeping the drill perpendicular to the workpiece, difficulty in applying adequate lubrication. heck, some holes might even take more than 1 drill bit per hole.

That was the situation I was in when I bought my first drill powered drill doctor. I have to say that it saved me money, not to mention time running to the the store to buy more drill bits. When I burnt one up, I could just sharpen it real quick and go back to work.

I don't really have the skills to sharpen a drill bit freehand, and the DD does a really nice job of sharpening the bit evenly and pefectly.

so I eventually upgraded to the motorized version. Not sure if its this same exact model, but I'm perfectly happy with it and next to a brand new bit, there is nothing like a freshly sharpened one.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Yup, have to agree with Ryan. Used to try to sharpen by hand on the grinder and have bought a fair share of replacement bits which I've bought that out number what one of these costs.

As for the time to resharpen, I have a large can full of machinist bits my dad picked up at an auction years ago, probably 300 bits or more, probably spent less than an hour putting a new factory like grind on all of them with the DD. Some of them were even broken or had bad grind jobs done on them and still had them all done that fast. Any time I'm drilling and feel the bit isn't cutting well, a quick 1 minute touch up and I'm off going again. The alignment guide on the side is just stupid simple to use.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Ordered. Figured with all the steel and iron I need to drill with my current tractor project, it would be indispensable.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

A dull drill is only dull at the very end ... the rest of it is perfectly good steel - it was good enough steel at the end when it was sharpened, it's good enough beyond the end so resharpening is definitely worthwhile in my view.

In fact, I avoid using drills that are harder to sharpen (i.e. brad points) for the very reason that once they're dull, they're more likely to get thrown away. I don't like throwing away anything - especially steel - if i can help it.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA