Drill Doctor 750x

Ted Calver

Staff member
A heads up I saw on another site. If you are interested in a Drill Doctor, go to http://www.drilldoctor.com/ and they have a special on the 750x model, normally $135+/-. It will sharpen up to 3/4" bits. Entering coupon code 750Xspecial at checkout will discount it $70, bringing the price to $69+/- plus shipping. They had a similar discount a year or so ago. Don't know if this is a good deal or not, but worth a look.

Is it really worth sharpening the drill bits of today? I must be missing something. Maybe i am being cheap and buying the wrong bits.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks Ted!

I've been considering getting one of these ever since my machinest buddy bought one during a late night TV fueled buying spree. He was unhappy he'd bought it the next day.. until he got it and then he was surprised at how well it actually worked. This was a fellow who was perfectly capable of free hand sharpening stuff, but he said the DD was slightly more accurate and way faster if you were doing very many.

Is it really worth sharpening the drill bits of today? I must be missing something. Maybe i am being cheap and buying the wrong bits.
Yep
Yep
Yep
:D Depends a lot on what you do and what kind of bits you buy. I have some indexes of crappy chinese ones, but I've been slowly replacing them with onsies of better quality as I go. I've resharpened by hand some of them, but am not all that good at it (better than dull, not nearly as good as if could be). A lot of the bits aren't worth buying much less sharpening later so there's that as well..

So, Let's say a 1/2" drill bit costs $5. Not a harbor freight one, but something decent, because you are going to be drilling steel. But you're not going to be using a nice drill press, you're going to use it on your back, on the driveway, under your truck to drill 30 holes to attach mounting brackets for a camper hold down system and super heavy duty hitch system.

Let's say you can drill 1.5 holes per drill bit, because of the awkard angles, difficulty in keeping the drill perpendicular to the workpiece, difficulty in applying adequate lubrication. heck, some holes might even take more than 1 drill bit per hole.

That was the situation I was in when I bought my first drill powered drill doctor. I have to say that it saved me money, not to mention time running to the the store to buy more drill bits. When I burnt one up, I could just sharpen it real quick and go back to work.

I don't really have the skills to sharpen a drill bit freehand, and the DD does a really nice job of sharpening the bit evenly and pefectly.

so I eventually upgraded to the motorized version. Not sure if its this same exact model, but I'm perfectly happy with it and next to a brand new bit, there is nothing like a freshly sharpened one.

Yup, have to agree with Ryan. Used to try to sharpen by hand on the grinder and have bought a fair share of replacement bits which I've bought that out number what one of these costs.

As for the time to resharpen, I have a large can full of machinist bits my dad picked up at an auction years ago, probably 300 bits or more, probably spent less than an hour putting a new factory like grind on all of them with the DD. Some of them were even broken or had bad grind jobs done on them and still had them all done that fast. Any time I'm drilling and feel the bit isn't cutting well, a quick 1 minute touch up and I'm off going again. The alignment guide on the side is just stupid simple to use.

A dull drill is only dull at the very end ... the rest of it is perfectly good steel - it was good enough steel at the end when it was sharpened, it's good enough beyond the end so resharpening is definitely worthwhile in my view.

In fact, I avoid using drills that are harder to sharpen (i.e. brad points) for the very reason that once they're dull, they're more likely to get thrown away. I don't like throwing away anything - especially steel - if i can help it.

Shoot, I was hoping some of the accessories would go on sale as well (want the left handed chuck). I have this model, and after wrenching on vehicles, ANYONE doing metalwork, I think would find this a useful tool. (no matter if your using cheap bits or good bits)
I have both cheap and good bits and now pretty much pick them up at yard sales and such, due to this. I have a vehicle project, that I expect I will need some left handed ones, during the process.
Rob, by your comment on buying the wrong bits, I suspect your using brad, spade and Forstner bits more. It won't help with those.

Looks like the Drill Doctor folks are honoring the discount. Here's the response Drill Doctor posted on the other site:
"Hey folks, this is Drill Doctor. We hope you have enjoyed the 50% off coupon code discussions over the last day or two. Those of you who purchased, congratulations, we hope you have a blast using your new Drill Doctor to sharpen all your dull used bits. This coupon code was available in error and it has now expired. If you want to hear about future promotions and new product announcements, you can sign up for our email at DrillDoctor.com. That’s all for now - have a great day and until next time, stay sharp out there!"

In another post, they said they sold a little over a hundred units at the discounted price.

"The orders will certainly be filled - most are shipping right now. We noticed the coupon error right away but we let it run its course. Congratulations to those of you that acted fast!"

Last edited:
Now that's how you handle a discount mistake.

Well done.

Hear, hear! That's good PR right there. That act, and the fact that it'll get shared and discussed on various Internet forums, will more than pay for itself in new sales and customer loyalty. :thumb: If I didn't already have one, I'd be buying one.